starter click

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter click

Hi all! when i turn my key in the ignition sometimes all i get is a click and after several attempts, she fires up. Having read that some others of you have had this problem i think i've narrowed it down to maybe the starter solenoid. I also read that the starter relay could be loose... does anyone know what one of these looks like and where it is please? Failing that i'd like to find a starter rapair kit from Toyota...couldn't see one in the Milner catalogue...any ideas? Id love to find its somthing simple.. and not requiring a new starter motor unit from Milner, priced £135

a good stripdown and clean/rebuild of the starter should fix it...
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS][B][SIZE=2]1993 SSR-X 2.4TD[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Shish
      a good stripdown and clean/rebuild of the starter should fix it...
      http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/starter/
      [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
      [size=5][/size]
      [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

ideal! thankyou!

Comment

had exactly the same symptoms so had the batteries checked, turned out one was knackerd, the other half knackerd.

two new batteries latter never did it again, and that was about 3 months ago.
          mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

Thanks for that... took mine to Halfords for battery check and found one was good and the other not great... the voltage thingy on the dash is high too so dunno. Of course the problem starting wouldnt happen with the mechanic there!! DOH!

Comment

Had exact same problem myself, and apparently it is quite common. There are 2 copper contacts at the back of the solenoid, one of which burns out after a while. To access them you need to remove the starter (access 2 bolts from under the wheel arch with wheel removed) It does come out upwards but it is quite awkward and a few bits have to be moved to one side. With starter off remove the cover off the back of the solenoid revealing the solenoid bolt and the contacts behind it. I believe you can buy a repair kit from Toyota which includes the new contacts.
              Rob

Comment

I had the Exact same problem. Except on Saturday we could start the engine. I followed the links and read a couple of article and 1 hour later the starter motor was on the floor and i was looking at the worn-out copper Bush.
                As toyota was shut by now i thought hay i would try Halfords see if they stock any starter kit..... Fat chance. I couldnt even get a strip of copper that could be bent/drilled.
                I called Toyota this AM and asked if they did the STARTER KIT, first of all he said no they dont do starter kits, I gave him the part number (28226-72010 which i got from the links above) and he came back and said he would have the part in 2 day and it only cost £4.60+VAT . I could feel any happier till o picked up the part. There not for the 3Ltr TD engine. After looking though the exploded view of the starter motor i pointed to the bit and the guy said thats not called a Starter kit, thats the Battery Terminal for the Starter. Yes i wanted to slap him
                Took 2 working days and i have the correct bit cost £5
                Last edited by pecksta; 22 June 2004, 08:24.

Comment

Working...
                X