Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator earth location?

Stupid question I know...
    Dunked the engine in mud a few times yesterday. Since then the warning lights on the dash which light up on start up: a/t oil etc. And the batt light stayed on when driving all the way home.
    Sprayed in wd40 tonight and problem still there. Started once lights were still on. Turned off checked batt which read at 12.14volts tried to turn over but the starter tried and died a couple of times. Batteries now read 11.9

From looking at previous threads seems that it's likely to be either the alternator is just wet/ needing either refurbing or replacing or that the earth for it needs cleaning and reconnecting.

before I get a new alt where do I find the earth? There is one leccy connector on the back of the alt and near to this a single wire (which I guess may be the earth?) both this wire and that from the connector run wrapped together and seem to go into the fuse box.
    I know finding an earth is pretty basic but still learning one end of the surf from the other
    Last edited by biosurf; 27 July 2009, 20:20.

Earth is just the chassis of the alternator aint it?

The little wire is presumably the field coil +ve.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

There is a body earth. It's close to alternator on the inner wing IIRC. Spraying WD40 into an alternator is not a good idea.

Nev

Comment

Working...
      X