Spot Lights Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spot Lights Again

Tonight i decided to try and find out what is wrong with the spot lights on my 91 SSR-X. They have never worked since i got it. I checked the bulbs and they appear to be ok. So i thought i would check the wiring. The wiring looks like it is a factory fitted loom joining with the main loom behind the offside battery. I have checked for voltage across the plug into the back of one of the lights and with all lights on (main beam and fog) there is no voltage present. I have not checked the loom for an earth fault yet though.

I have looked for additional fuses around the engine bay and under the drivers side dash but cannot find any.

Does anybody know whether a factory fitted spot light loom was an option? And if so, are there any fuses or relays anywhere that i can check. I cannot find any mention of the loom in the diagrams in the Max Ellery manual i have.

Thanks.

EDIT:

I have searched this forum. Whilst there is loads of good info on fitting spot lights and the wiring required, there is nothing (i can find) about a factory fitted option.
    Last edited by Pine12; 17 July 2009, 19:36.

I'm not aware there was a factory fitted option? (Although I may be wrong, it has been known on occasion!).
    It may just be a very tidy install but either way you are going to need to check your switch, 12v supply and earth return, relay and fuse as that's all there should be but as you mentioned before, you can't find them.

That's really all I can say.

Sorry,

Ray.
    I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

There were only factory fog lights that I know of and the wiring for these is not suitable for spot lights. It is however ok to use the factory wiring to trigger a relay for an additional spot light loom.

Nev

Comment

There were only factory fog lights that I know of and the wiring for these is not suitable for spot lights. The plugs for these are each side of radiator toward the bottom. It is however ok to use the factory wiring to trigger a relay for an additional spot light loom.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
          There were only factory fog lights that I know of and the wiring for these is not suitable for spot lights. The plugs for these are each side of radiator toward the bottom. It is however ok to use the factory wiring to trigger a relay for an additional spot light loom.

Nev
          Its that wiring that the spot lights (they could be fog - there yellow) are connected to. I assume the switch is the one in the centre of the console to the left of the rear window switch. If so it operates a relay (which i think is behind the centre console at the dashboeard end) but there is no voltage present at the end of the loom. Guess there must be a fuse somewhere?

Comment

Yep, yellow are fog lights and have factory wiring. Check the fuse.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
              Yep, yellow are fog lights and have factory wiring. Check the fuse.

Nev
              I had that cover off and didn't see the fuse! I'll look tomorrow.

Thanks.

Comment

The reason i did not see it is that on my cover the fuse is represented by a big cross. As in, not used. I guess someone fitted the fog lights to the original loom added the switch and then for what ever reason did not stick a fuse in. I put the fuse in and it all works.

Thanks for the pointers!

Comment

Working...
                X