not alternator!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not alternator!!!!

Well,the A********r has been on a bench all day and been given a clean billof health. Placed back under bonnit and,true to form, icon lights back on and the high pitch warning sound is back (along with husbands tears) any ideas please.

Sad Su

Hmmmm, check the battery voltage at the terminals it should be around 12.8 volts without the engine running.

Check it with the engine running and it should be higher 13.4 volts upwards. This will confirm that it is actually charging via the loom or not.

If it doesn't get higher then assuming your bench test is good then check the loom. edit - especially the earth strap to the engine

I suspect that it is a problem with the indicator ciruit and that it is charging the battery. I notice on the circuit diagram that there is a fuse for the charging indicator so check this http://www.afm15.dial.pipex.com/surf...torpreheat.jpg

If this doesn't solve the problem then check the grounds to the chassis for the instrument cluster.
    Hope this helps

Rich.

Originally posted by embleton
    Well,the A********r has been on a bench all day and been given a clean billof health. Placed back under bonnit and,true to form, icon lights back on and the high pitch warning sound is back (along with husbands tears) any ideas please.

Sad Su
    Last edited by rich; 18 May 2004, 19:48.
    If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

I had exactly the same symptoms on my 2.4.$540.00 and a new alternator problem was fixed.Have someone else check the alternator.

Neville

Comment

alternator

Thanks for the tips. Hubbie outside testing it now. But not looking good. Everytime we turn the key the dash lights up like a christmas tree, and the worning sound is deafing.
        Su & Reg

PS do you know a biking thatcher who lives in Kings Clere?
        Last edited by embleton; 18 May 2004, 20:09.

Comment

Originally posted by embleton
          PS do you know a biking thatcher who lives in Kings Clere?
          Is this slang????? hehe

Nope don't think I know any motorcyclists who are mad enough to climb on the roof with a load of reed. Know plenty of mad motorcyclists just not thatchers.

Oh and I only know one person in Kingsclere!

Hope hubbie had some luck.

Rich.

Comment

New alternator has arrived today and will be fitted tonight. Hopefully this will resolve the problems.

Su & Reg

Comment

Guess what. The bench lied! 1 new alternator later and the car is now going, which is lucky as its sooooo wet in Sussex. Many thanks for all your tips.
              Reg & Su

Comment

Good news, back on the road, back grinning

Comment

Good to hear you're mobile again
                  Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Working...
                  X