Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing A second Battery

Hi Guys,
    I am having a real problem trying to find a place to put my leisure battery.
    I have a V6 and unfortunately the front of the engine bay is a bit busy, There is not enough clearance to place it on the left/right wheel arches so what should I do.
    Option 1 the easy lazy method (but it does allow for easy removal) is to buy a box and just put the battery in the boot. Firmly strap it in etc so that it doesn’t fall over and ruin the boot.
    Option 2 which I saw on some web page is to stick the battery under the car (under the passenger seat) but having looked at this I am not too sure if its a good idea.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

Originally posted by truckarms
    Hi Guys,
    I am having a real problem trying to find a place to put my leisure battery.
    I have a V6 and unfortunately the front of the engine bay is a bit busy, There is not enough clearance to place it on the left/right wheel arches so what should I do.
    Option 1 the easy lazy method (but it does allow for easy removal) is to buy a box and just put the battery in the boot. Firmly strap it in etc so that it doesn’t fall over and ruin the boot.
    Option 2 which I saw on some web page is to stick the battery under the car (under the passenger seat) but having looked at this I am not too sure if its a good idea.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers
    have you already got 2 batteries?
    if so take one out and bung the leisure one in
    2 batteries are not really necessary.
    if you've only got 1 then put the leisure battery in the other space!
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Im thick,whats a leisure battery for

Comment

If your spare wheel is rear mounted, how about the huge void where the spare used to be. A couple of lengths of angle iron and a suitable plastic tray, straps etc from a caravan accessories shop. Its a bit of a run from the engine compartment to the back but it would be well out of harms way. Loads of scope for fitting several batteries paralelled up.
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Wheelrepairit

Basically, its whats installed in your caravans etc...Some Surfs have two batteries installed (in parallel). One battery controls the running of the engine and so on whilst the other controls the accessories [known as the winter pack normally], as the rear back window is also connected etc...
          Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
            Basically, its whats installed in your caravans etc...Some Surfs have two batteries installed (in parallel). One battery controls the running of the engine and so on whilst the other controls the accessories [known as the winter pack normally], as the rear back window is also connected etc...
            Not quite, in a standard twin battery Surf both are connected in parallel as you say, therefore they both provide power to all items, ie starting and all ancillaries etc.

In a leisure battery setup one would be used 4 starting and one 4 running selected other items on an independant circuit. This system utilises a split charging system. Engine charges both battery's but only 1 is drained by the connected high load items when the engine is not running, leaving a fully charged one 4 starting.
            Maurice
            Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

My second Battery!!!!! HELP

Unfortunately having a original UK car I dont get a second battery so I wanted a second battery (why? I have a computer in the car and dont really want to keep the engine running all the time, plus there are lots of other toys I want that would work well off a leisure battery) So Back to the problem,
              Again my spare tyre is under the car, and yes I want to move it to the back door (but then being greedy I want 2 spare tyres!!!! Or an extra fuel tank, I fancy taking it the kenya where my folks live). So I am back to where I was before, I know that sticking it under the car must be better/ easier than moving stuff around under the bonnet (in my engine, the left as you look at it has the battery and then then relays etc then the wheel arch, while the left has the radiator overflow, the air filter and then some fancy petrol fume charcoal filter.) I was going to move the charcoal thing and place the battery in the back right hand corner where the second battery is on a 2.4 but the battery I have is too deep (but its a standard battery depth).
              So Back to the problem, under the car or in the boot?
              Cheers Guys
              P.S. Morr you got the right idea on the battery setup.

Comment

Codlord did his, this might help.

Rich.

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/battery.htm
                If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Originally posted by truckarms
                  Unfortunately having a original UK car I dont get a second battery so I wanted a second battery (why? I have a computer in the car and dont really want to keep the engine running all the time, plus there are lots of other toys I want that would work well off a leisure battery) So Back to the problem,
                  Again my spare tyre is under the car, and yes I want to move it to the back door (but then being greedy I want 2 spare tyres!!!! Or an extra fuel tank, I fancy taking it the kenya where my folks live). So I am back to where I was before, I know that sticking it under the car must be better/ easier than moving stuff around under the bonnet (in my engine, the left as you look at it has the battery and then then relays etc then the wheel arch, while the left has the radiator overflow, the air filter and then some fancy petrol fume charcoal filter.) I was going to move the charcoal thing and place the battery in the back right hand corner where the second battery is on a 2.4 but the battery I have is too deep (but its a standard battery depth).
                  So Back to the problem, under the car or in the boot?
                  Cheers Guys
                  P.S. Morr you got the right idea on the battery setup.
                  I reckon if you are looking to take it to Kenya, why not make one of those drawer systems for the back to put all your stuff in out of harms way and then put a compartment in it for the Battery. That way you get the best of everything.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Wheelrepairit
                    it's made especially for high drain stuff like tv's etc.... it's not damaged by repeated charging and dis-charging.

if you don't have 2 batteries then you should have a space for one?? mine has a space the opposite side to the battery (i.e. behind n/s headlamp) and already has threaded holes for the carrier etc.
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
                      it's made especially for high drain stuff like tv's etc.... it's not damaged by repeated charging and dis-charging.

if you don't have 2 batteries then you should have a space for one?? mine has a space the opposite side to the battery (i.e. behind n/s headlamp) and already has threaded holes for the carrier etc.
                      I think the V6 has a different engine bay layout than the Diesel and never had an optional 2nd battery so there isn't the space allocated. All Surf Diesels had the option so the space was always there. I think that you can relocate some of the stuff so that you can fit a battery on the passenger side like the Surf, think someone on Yotatech did it on a US V6.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                        I think the V6 has a different engine bay layout than the Diesel and never had an optional 2nd battery so there isn't the space allocated. All Surf Diesels had the option so the space was always there. I think that you can relocate some of the stuff so that you can fit a battery on the passenger side like the Surf, think someone on Yotatech did it on a US V6.

Cheers

Yeah, if I rememebr correctly the area where the second battery sits is all air intake flow meter and stuff.
                        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                        My choice
                        Back off

Comment

Working...
                        X