Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting circuit problems or motor contacts

Hi All, looking for advice,
    My 91 2.4 wouldn't start yesterday it had been driven 10 mins before fine (1 mile) and lots recently towing a caravan on holiday and I thought the battery charge was too low due to accessories while we were away, it turned over very slowly for a couple of seconds then gave up, I tried jump starting off another car but only got the same result. I took the battery out charged it over night and put it back in, still the same. Took the battery to the shop they said it still had over 800 crank amps (which I thought was good after 2.5 years and starting new with 850 on the label) put it back in and looked for any loose wires or earths or similar but found nothing wrong. Then suddenly it works again and leeps in to life as you would expect with 800 CCA. I'm thinking a loose wire? but does anyone know any likely connections?

Or could this be starter contacts which lots of threads seem to point to (even though it didn't just click it just didn't turn fast enough or for long enough)
    Thanks in advance
    Darren

Originally posted by Darren View Post
    Hi All, looking for advice,
    My 91 2.4 wouldn't start yesterday it had been driven 10 mins before fine (1 mile) and lots recently towing a caravan on holiday and I thought the battery charge was too low due to accessories while we were away, it turned over very slowly for a couple of seconds then gave up, I tried jump starting off another car but only got the same result. I took the battery out charged it over night and put it back in, still the same. Took the battery to the shop they said it still had over 800 crank amps (which I thought was good after 2.5 years and starting new with 850 on the label) put it back in and looked for any loose wires or earths or similar but found nothing wrong. Then suddenly it works again and leeps in to life as you would expect with 800 CCA. I'm thinking a loose wire? but does anyone know any likely connections?

Or could this be starter contacts which lots of threads seem to point to (even though it didn't just click it just didn't turn fast enough or for long enough)
    Thanks in advance
    Darren
    Hi Darren

I had similar but it did in the end turn out to be the starter motor contacts. Fiddly job but only cost ?£30 in parts to refurbish the starter motor.

MArk

Comment

thanks Mark, looks like I will try that then.
      Darren

Comment

Any other suggestions before I donate all the skin on my fingers?

Comment

It WILL be the starter. It's not that hard.

Remove the fuel filter and pass the starter up, rather than trying to get it out through the bottom.
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post

Remove the fuel filter and pass the starter up, rather than trying to get it out through the bottom.
            Unless you have a 2" body lift!! then it will drop out....

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...arter+contacts this was me when I was having probs with my username

Mark

Comment

Not on my truck mate.

Still easier to pass it up.

Comment

?? that what I was told when I did my contacts!! if you had a lift you could drop it out the bottom.....as said I did it in place!!

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post

Apache, I like your decisiveness, Been away all weekend to the new forest towing the caravan and crossing my fingers each time I turn the key which is horrible, It hasn't failed again yet but if it can do it once it can do it again, I will get the kit and sacrifice those fingers, many thanks
                  Darren

Comment

I've done mine twice now. When it starts misbehaving occasionally, thats the time to do it. Dont leave it cos guaranteed it will fail completely when the weather is minging!

Comment

Working...
                    X