Flat batteries - again ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat batteries - again ?

I recently replaced both batteries, less than 6 months ago. Over the last 2 weeks I have tried to start my car in the morning and on 3 occasions the car has refused to start from what appears to be a lack of charge in the batteries.

The power meter on my dashboard is around 2/3 on the scale, pretty much where it always been. My radio settings have reset but even thought the car wont start, there appears to be enough power to play the radio, put lights on and use my wipers. I am lucky enough to live on a hill so I have been bump starting it.

The batteries are new and appear to hold a decent charge. I cannot find anything drainging the power over night.

What could be the issue? Could it be a fault in the starter motor or do I need to start looking at the electrics? Assuming of course the batteries are ok, which they appear to be, but I will stick a multi meter on them tonight.

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by stefanw View Post
    Could it be a fault in the starter motor
    Yes, it could be.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

What voltage do you get during cranking?

Nev

Comment

sounds like a similar problem i had a couple of years ago.
        every now and then it would not start when left for a while. the starter motor would click but not turn the engine. I presumed the batteries were not holding charge although alternator was working fine. I changed batteries which made a bit of difference at first, but then the problem started again.
        I read up about the problem on here and suspected my starter motor contacts were n/g.
        I ordered a starter motor contact replacement kit from my toyota dealer and overhauled my starter. problem dissapeared.
        I could not bump start mine when the problem occurred as it's an auto - so when the problem occurred I was stranded until the starter decided to play again.
        changing the contacts is an easy enough job - but getting the motor off the 3.0 engine is a bitch - especially if you have hands like pigs tits!!.
        If you are doing it yourself - i recommened buying a ratchet spanner with very fine increments of "ratchetness" - makes the job a little less of a bitch.
        Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Working...
        X