Speedo problems, intermitant etc;

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo problems, intermitant etc;

Hi to all Surf owners, I am new to this site and have already found it very useful, I own a 3ltr 1997 ssr X limited, which I have owned for over 3yrs, it suddenly had speedo problems the usual it seems, Itermitant, not working at all some days, so I had to use my Sat Nav and keep an eye on the GPS speed reading.
    I made enquiries and found it would cost me £160 for a new sender unit,on the way home the O/D off light kept flashing on and off, but with no change to performance, I came home frustrated and was chatting to a mate who drives a Dizzie, and he was saying how easy it was to sort problems online, I joked and said yes you sort the probs then sell the land rover and get a Surf as its comfortable and faster...... anyway I found this site, GREAT.
    Then I decided to have a look at the problem with the speedo myself, so armed with screwdrivers and circuit tester I removed the speed assembly from the dash, the printed circuit on the back of the clocks on mine is a thin plastic that has bare copper lines where the multi blocks push in. I lifted these slightly and cleaned them with a rubber on the end of a pencil, then sprayed them with an electrical damp sealant which also improves electrical contact and properties. The spray is called NC-123 by National Chemsearch, it is years old and I don't know if it is still available.

The outcome is it worked my speedo now works fine, the O/D off light has stopped flashing all systems aok, please try this first before the expense of new parts.
    Also someone on the site mentioned their speedo was really a Km/hr speedo with the K blanked out, I only noticed mine is the same when I did this work, it appears that (i may be wrong) on the printed circuit directly behind the speedo are 2 places for a small screw and washer, the one with Japanese symbol by it has had a screw and washer in it but removed, has this been moved to the next hole which makes a circuit and makes the speedo read MPH?
    HOPE THIS IS OF USE TO ALL, SORRY IT WENT ON A BIT!
Working...
X