Introduction and query re operation of the heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction and query re operation of the heater

Hi all - I've been aware of the website for a time - I've had my Surf, a 2.4 auto import for just over a year - but this is my first post.
    I've had a look in the FAQs but couldn't see any references to the heater.
    The problem is that the heater blower motor only runs at the slowest speed. Moving the heater blower slider switch has no effect. I guess it must be either a faulty switch of some form of speed control electronics circuitry. Can anybody help with any suggestions as to what the problem is and also how to gain access to the switch, motor control circuitry?

Thanks in advance Toymotauser

It almost certainly won't be the switch but the resistor pack tucked up behind the heater fan. This has been covered in the past so you should be able to find all the info by searching within the forums.

G.
    2nd gen Ltd

Comment

As i understand it, the fan works through the resistor on the lower speeds but bypasses it on the highest so it may be a faulty switch. The switch contacts do burn out sometimes. Resistor is in the bottom of housing (passenger side footwell) for the blower motor and fairly easy to remove.

Dash removal info here -

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/

Nev

Comment

Thanks to both of you for the speedy response.
        I'll get the screwdrivers and spanners out at the weekend and investigate, but it'll be sooooo much easier with the info., especially the link, that you guys have provided.
        I'll let you know exactly what the problem is when I eventually get to the bottom of it.

Regards (or 73 if you have any ham radio aspirations)

Toymotauser

PS I searched, as Gordon B suggested and had a lot more success. Maybe it was a lack of familiarity with the forum or perhaps the search is restricted for newbies?

PPS LandRovers (Series III SWB) don't have these problems ------- or this degree of comfort and refinement either!!!

Comment

Nor do Series 1s! You sound like a man after my own heart,

Gordon G7KNS

PS: You'll be telling me next that you know what Grandsire Triples is all about; Look to!
          2nd gen Ltd

Comment

Try this ....
            http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...=Heater+Blower

Good Luck

There's always a Payback .... It'll always take longer than five minutes !!!!
            Buncefield Burner

Comment

After the usual curses, skinned knuckles etc etc it turned out to be the switch. The resistor pack was fine. Some judicious "adjustments" - big hammer best tool for this, skillfully wielded of course - and the switch was repaired; and after more curses etc. all is back together and now we're warm as toast!
              Thanks once again for the fast and very helpful replies.
              I'll come here again!!!

Toymotauser

Comment

I know what Grandsire triples are as well as Plain Hunt !!!
                Look to, Treble going, She's gone !!!
                73s & 88 where appropiate.
                John, G0WIJ

Comment

When I flippantly put the 73 comment at the end of the post I didn't really expect......
                  It's G4BSH here although I'm rarely on the air these days.

Posted before I had finished - not quite sure what happened.
                  I have to confess to almost total ignorance of campanology - that is the correct term isn't it?
                  Is there a bell -ringing forum? An ex-colleague used to be really keen. They used to tour many of the smaller South Norfolk churches "activating" the bells many of which were never rung on a regular basis.
                  Nice to know there are some local members too.

Regards

Toymotauser
                  Last edited by Toymotauser; 27 February 2009, 22:46.

Comment

Well, I'm like you as far as the radio goes, I have got a 2M Yagi up and a G5RV, but I can't remember the last time I was active on the air, one of these days I must get back on. I have an Icom IC706 mk2 sitting in the shack, maybe I will fit it in the Surf one of these days !!
                    As for the campanology, well I now suffer badly from Osteo Arthritis so I have had to stop doing that as well now, I have rung in a few South Norfolk bell towers, I used to ring regularly at East Harling when I lived there.
                    In fact I taught my wife and all 3 sons to ring as well, so it used to look like we were taking over !!
                    You never know, we might hook up on the ether one of these days !!
                    Best 73s John.

Comment

more hams here then ay...

There are a few now I think...

I have not been on air either for a while had a 2mtr kenwood 241E in the truck and a Albrecht 10mtr set but like I said not used it much...

2E0HRS (I shud really get my M0 soon just so little time....)
                      One day at the time I guess..

Comment

Working...
                      X