Ignition Barrel Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by N_WOF View Post
    This is pointless, but for some reason I just can't resist...
    Nobody ever can.

Many, many thanks for suggesting heatshrink - I did think about it, but as the bullet connectors come with their own built-in silicone covers, I thought that and insulation tape would be enough...but then, you see, I didn't know that it wouldn't because, you see, I'm not an expert or an electrician or a mechanic, I write software for a living and teach computing so, you see, I go on forums like this to get help...only this time, I got an ignorant northerner determined to put himself up as an olympic standard stereotype.
    One does try.

One reply would have done here, something along the lines of "Insulation tape's not up to the job, use heatshrink instead." But instead, just look at these three pages of replies - it's pitiful.
    It's not pitiful. It's how most of the best debates get made. However, to humour your point:

1) Insulation tape: Use it for nothing more than securing wires together in a loom or securing a wire loop for strength. It's resistance to water ingress is practically zilch, unless you have used cartloads and taped it extremely well. It does, however, have a bad tendency to unfurl over time so cannot be trusted.

2) Heatshrink. As BDT suggested, you can get the connector with heatshrink sleeving on them, or use an extra layer of heatsink over the connection.

3) Connectors. Unless you have a valid reason and may wish to disconnect the wires for any temporary reason in the future, don't use bullet connectors. Use inline barrel connectors. Permanent connection once made with a better connection.

4) Amalgamating tape. If you want to properly waterproof connectors, go for amalgamating tape. Heat shrink, whilst useful, has several factors deciding how good a seal it makes, including the size of the heatshrink sleeve, how well you shrink it etc. Amalg has to be stretched to apply, (hence not recommended for use on thin wires), but that means it does make a tight seal, and it bonds to itself when warm, so does create a nigh on impenetrable barrier to moisture if applied correctly.

5) Stop being a sloppy bugger and a girlie wuss.

Comment

This is pointless, but for some reason I just can't resist...

Many, many thanks for suggesting heatshrink - I did think about it, but as the bullet connectors come with their own built-in silicone covers, I thought that and insulation tape would be enough...but then, you see, I didn't know that it wouldn't because, you see, I'm not an expert or an electrician or a mechanic, I write software for a living and teach computing so, you see, I go on forums like this to get help...only this time, I got an ignorant northerner determined to put himself up as an olympic standard stereotype.

I KNOW the lock part of the ignition barrel isn't at fault here - I've seen keys before, I use them all the time, not one of them has circuitry in it capable of burning out! It's so obvious that I meant the switching part of the ignition barrel - I suppose, had I said the switch had burnt out, I'd have got any number of replies along the lines of "You idiot! It's the contacts which have burnt out, not the switch!"

One reply would have done here, something along the lines of "Insulation tape's not up to the job, use heatshrink instead." But instead, just look at these three pages of replies - it's pitiful.
      no probs mate,heat shrink is very good most motor factors sell it,and maplins,and its all a learning curve,we all learn from our mistakes

Comment

Aaa, a computer teacher. That's it then...first rule of computers - you put garbage in, you get garbage out, which right at the very start of this thread is what happened.

advice is there to be taken or ignored, your choice.

Another "ignorant northerner".
        Keep your friends close and a hammer closer

Comment

Working...
        X