No announcement yet.

light n window prob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both batteries were replaced, for brand new ones feb/march last year (2008)

The ones they replaced were jap ones which had obviously come over when the car was imported.

"cool mental note made,i wont offer again" BDT

After giving you a complete description of the problem, including the fact the batteries were unable to turn the engine, you tell me that they are flat, well, I'd already said the same so you weren't being any great help really.

My concern was/is that there seems to be another issue here preventing starting when the two cars are connected but no-one has picked up on this apart from Tobyjug.

I will be charging these mothers today and as said previously that by the end of the charge up I reckon they'll still not fire the truck up and I'll still be looking for other electrical problems causing the battery to drain.

This is obviously not a very good spot to post about technical electrical problems on a hilux surf, cool mental note made, I wont ask again

Comment

the only other thing i can come up with and thats to get your alternator checked.Denre who lives near me had similar problems with his truck.He had an alternator from me which unfortunately ended up being duff aswell.We fitted the replacement and his old alternator in my truck and both had gone.
      If you can find someone near you that you can swap alternaors over and see if it makes a differenca at all.Or take your alternator to a auto sparky to get it checked over.It is probably just the bushes inside that may have burnt out
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Now that could make more sense, seeing as how the start motor contacts went in the summer, if I get the same issues once charged up I'll go down that route, thanks. Hazzo

Comment

we even fitted my alternator in Dons truck just to make sure there wasn't any other fault with his truck but my alternator worked fine.I would almost be 100% certain its the alternator then
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Cheers then, batts are charging now will try starting tomorrow, then if no go will test alternator. H

Comment

Originally posted by Hazzo View Post
              Cheers then, batts are charging now will try starting tomorrow, then if no go will test alternator. H
              so u decribe all the problems of a flat battery then announce u changed the batteries this year??wtf seriously,i deal with countless roadsides ive done many many courses but if you dont have the facts then u cant help,end of,bit like sumone saying losing water overheating etc,everyone would say yr head gaskets gone,then you pipe up the following day,oh i had the head done .
              I'm not trying to be funny,just trying to help,and to do that u start at the basics,get it running,put yr multimeter on,if between 13.5 and 14.5 volts yr alternator is fine,if so,go buy an "amp clamp,then go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                Welcome to my world...

Comment

Both batteries were replaced, for brand new ones feb/march last year (2008)

The ones they replaced were jap ones which had obviously come over when the car was imported.

"cool mental note made,i wont offer again" BDT

After giving you a complete description of the problem, including the fact the batteries were unable to turn the engine, you tell me that they are flat, well, I'd already said the same so you weren't being any great help really.

My concern was/is that there seems to be another issue here preventing starting when the two cars are connected but no-one has picked up on this apart from Tobyjug.

I will be charging these mothers today and as said previously that by the end of the charge up I reckon they'll still not fire the truck up and I'll still be looking for other electrical problems causing the battery to drain.

This is obviously not a very good spot to post about technical electrical problems on a hilux surf, cool mental note made, I wont ask again
                  and i hate to say it but the thing "preventing starting"is cause yr batteries are flat,hence i did "pick it up"

Comment

"I would do as BDT says mate, these trucks need about 750+ cold cranking amps to start them, I cant see that the batts are being pulled down that much during a jump start, make sure that everything you can is off then do the jump." (charvell)

I know the battery has drained otherwise I wouldn't have a mate with his car running try to jump start this one, I've also been fixing my own cars for thirty years and this is the first time when trying to jump start a car, not bump start, jump start, with booster cables that I've not had my vehicle turn over as it should.

I admit I'm no auto electrician but when two cars are attached in tandem then a low battery on the disabled car should pose no problem otherwise why bother trying to jump it.

Like I said its jump started before in similar conditions last winter, but this time even in tandem with the other car revved n running its not turning this one over enough to fire, so I reckon its shorting somewhere and was looking for some hints to the location, where to look first, I've checked all fuses, none blown, have replaced the blown bulb but dont know where to look as far as lecky windows goes, the electric aerial isn't moving either and as stated in the earlier post all were fine before.

I wouldn't even be asking but the links to the diagrams (electric) are missing, so really I'm posting in the hope someone has had similar problems and can help out rather than tell me the ####in battery is flat, a fact I already am well and truly aware of. H
                    I think you need to chill out fella, start with the basics people are trying to help you
                    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by charvell View Post
                      I think you need to chill out fella, start with the basics people are trying to help you
                      ty but i fear

Comment

In my second post I said the batteries were replaced after failing last year (feb08) and yes I know they are flat and the reason the car wont start, but I also said about other problems that have just "appeared", that the car was attached in tandem for a jump start and on turning the key the power still seemed to be draining and not cranking the starter motor, now after having jump started the car previously I still suspect further problems in the electrics, a short, which I will be looking into once the batteries are back on.

I did give the information about a window/light/aerial also not working that had worked the last time the car started normally, the answers to which were "flat battery", Yes the batteries are flat. Connected to another running vehicle, showing on the guage roughly 15v, the car still failed to start and has me looking for other problems, as, like I said, I've jump started this car before when the batteries(old ones) were completely dead and showing on the guage minimally.

My relies to your answers were sharp as you were stating the obvious and I apologize for that but after being on the roads since 1976 and owning this car almost two years while regularly maintaining it myself I wouldn't post on a forum to enquire solely about why a flat battery won't start a car. H

Comment

Have you got an alarm fitted to the truck?
                          SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

There's an immobilizer.

Batteries charged and started first turn of the key, I would like to offer full apologies to any I annoyed here, thanks for the help. Hazzo
                            Last edited by Hazzo; 6 January 2009, 12:26.

Comment

There's an immobilizer.

Batteries charged and started first turn of the key, I would like to offer full apologies to any I annoyed here, thanks for the help. Hazzo
                              no probs if yr still worried try an amp clamp to find the drain or go to maplins buy a solar trickle charger,bout 20 quid

Comment

Working...
                              X