starting issues how to diagnose - help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting issues how to diagnose - help

Hope you guys can help, ive had some starting issues with my 2.4 LN130. both times i have not been in the vehicle (other peoples errors maybe lol)
    First was after the missus had turned off the truck after sitting in M25 traffic, this was after a 120mile trip there and halfway back on the return trip, the truck would not start, plenty of battery juice but just wouldnt kick in, i should also add that she had gone through (almost aquaplaned) a huge puddle.
    i put this down to somehting getting wet after the puddle, as 10minutes later she got it started.

The second was friend of mine using it and it wouldnt start this time the batteries died.

could it be the alternator perhaps ?? some help in diagnosing would be great as 175 quid for a new one only for it not to be the problem wouldnt go down to well.

thanks
    Last edited by Fargo; 1 November 2008, 13:20.

Sounds like fuel starvation caused by a vacuum in the fuel tank.
    Unscrew the fuel filler cap and listen for a hissing sound to confirm.

Comment

yes there is a slight hiss when i just opened it.

Comment

Theres a small one-way brether valve on top of the tank that can sometimes block up with mud/dirt. Just unscrew the small clamps and pull thed valve off and clean it out.
        The easier option is to drill a small hole 4mm in the fuel cap to let air into the tank.
        Could also be a clogged fuel filter if it's more than a year old or you've been using veg oil.

Comment

thanks, will have a look tomorrow..BTW hows them wiring diagrams for the LS instrument cluster coming.

Comment

well i dont htink its the fueling, tried to start today, no good, this time i just get the clicks and nothing, not even engine turn over, just like the batteries have died.
            Before i started the truck i checked the voltage on the batteries and there was 12V on both and still 12V after i tried to start.

i reckon the starter motor has had it, best get the refurb kit then, does this sound about right..

Comment

I reckon so, mine was pretty much the same, started ok for over a year, then a couple of clicking weeks before starting, then nowt one morning just click. H

Comment

Just a thought, but it could be the interlock on the gear selector if you have an auto. A lot cheaper than a starter motor.

Comment

Your batteries should be showing around 13V if they are fully charged. If only 12V then you could have issues with the batteries or the alternator may not be charging them correctly. Did you use a digital voltmeter to check the voltage as that should give an exact figure and anything below about 12.3V is not that great.
                  Mike G

Comment

Working...
                  X