Alternator Problem ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator Problem ?

Right lads I am slightly at a loss here. I was having problems with my Surf constantly running the batteries flat so took it for a battery check at Kwik Fit as I had read all the battery stuff on here but was still unsure as to what the problem might be.

I assumed it would be all the short journey's I do and not getting a good charge back into the batteries. Kwik Fit informed me that one of my batteries was goosed but that the alternator was putting a charge back in so they recommended new batteries.

I duly took this advice and bought 2 batteries recommended with more than enough power to do the job 650CCA for each battery.

I have had the batteries fitted for approx 3 weeks and now I have what appears to be the same problem with running flat.

I know its not the batteries obviously so what is my next port of call? Is it likely that the little short journey's approx 5 mins in the morning to work and 5 back is just draining the batteries in rapid fashion ?

Or is t likely to be an alternator problem ? Are there any checks I do myself that would paint a clearer picture? Would it be a good idea to get it checked out for any drain outwith normal parameters?

thanks
    Andy

sounds to me like your alternator is knackered

Comment

Originally posted by sledge View Post
      sounds to me like your alternator is knackered
      yeah I am leaning towards that but my knowledge is very limited with electrical stuff is there a way I can check to make sure that is easy to do?
      Andy

Comment

Simply connect a multimeter set to volts to the positive and negative battery terminal (either battery will do) and rev engine to around 2 - 2 1/2 K. You should get a voltage reading of around 14.5 Volts. If you do, then alternator is ok. Short trips will kill the batteries so maybe you should go the long way round or look for a charger to hook up to the batteries to maintain them.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by snakeguy View Post
          yeah I am leaning towards that but my knowledge is very limited with electrical stuff is there a way I can check to make sure that is easy to do?
          A very simple and old fashioned way is to turn on your headlights with the engine running rev the engine and if, the lights get brighter when you rev, you will know the alternator is putting a charge to the battery. This may not be the correct charge but it will give you a clue.
          Trust your Hound.

Comment

thanks lads I shall try that and report back later one.
            Andy

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
              Simply connect a multimeter set to volts to the positive and negative battery terminal (either battery will do) and rev engine to around 2 - 2 1/2 K. You should get a voltage reading of around 14.5 Volts. If you do, then alternator is ok. Short trips will kill the batteries so maybe you should go the long way round or look for a charger to hook up to the batteries to maintain them.

Nev
              Right Nev did as you said and there was only a slight increase to 12.55 Volts when revs held at 2,500.

Does this mean my alternator is goosed then ?

Also why did Kwik Fit not pick up on the dodgy alternator as the guy had his hand held gadget on it and told me the alternator was doing its job but it obviously isn't. I hope I have not been fitted up by Kwik Fit.
              Andy

Comment

give me a shout if you end up needing a 3.0l alternator as i'll have one from the breaker at the end of next week
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                  give me a shout if you end up needing a 3.0l alternator as i'll have one from the breaker at the end of next week
                  thanks mate thats good of you to let me know. I am going to Kwik Fit now to ask some questions and try and find out for definate if the alternator is goosed but it looks that way.

I am not electrically minded although I have a multi meter I am not confident using it correctly so want to make sure.

be back in half an hour.
                  Andy

Comment

Pm sent.If you want it by thursday let me know and i'll arrange courier tomorrow for next day delivery for you as i will need to get it off tonight

Comment

Right Nev did as you said and there was only a slight increase to 12.55 Volts when revs held at 2,500.

Does this mean my alternator is goosed then ?

Also why did Kwik Fit not pick up on the dodgy alternator as the guy had his hand held gadget on it and told me the alternator was doing its job but it obviously isn't. I hope I have not been fitted up by Kwik Fit.
                      should test at tick over,if its between 13.5 and 14.5 at tick over its fine,above or below alternator is knackered
                      but tbh if yr only getting that at 2500 rpm,then its knackered,how many times do i have to say dont go to kwick fit???

Comment

thanks mate thats good of you to let me know. I am going to Kwik Fit now to ask some questions and try and find out for definate if the alternator is goosed but it looks that way.

I am not electrically minded although I have a multi meter I am not confident using it correctly so want to make sure.

be back in half an hour.
                        arrrrrrrghhh dont go there get stormys alternator and either fit it yr self or go to a garage plzzzzzzzzz

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                          arrrrrrrghhh dont go there get stormys alternator and either fit it yr self or go to a garage plzzzzzzzzz
                          lol yeah mate I know Kwik Fit is a risk the reason I went back was I wanted to have words with the eedjit that told me it was the batteries, he wasn't in so thats another day.

I have ordered Stormy's Alt now so all is well my truck will live on dammit
                          Andy

Comment

pleasure doing business Andy.

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                              should test at tick over,if its between 13.5 and 14.5 at tick over its fine,above or below alternator is knackered
                              but tbh if yr only getting that at 2500 rpm,then its knackered,how many times do i have to say dont go to kwick fit???
                              That why they advertise as $hite Fit "fitters" n not mechanics !!!!

There's always a Payback .... ya won't ever see it Comin tho !!!!
                              Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                              X