Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Belt Light Query

Hi all,

Suffering from a severe lack of inclination and current lack of a garage, I did something yesterday I’ve never done before in my life, gave my wheels to a garage to service. Basic service, front pads and put thru its DOE test (Irish MOT for commercial vehicles). I also got him to replace the timing belt, which leads me to my question. I know that to reset the 'change belt light' you have to move the screw on the rear of the clocks to its alternate hole (found it before when I had the clocks out). However, as my timing light has not come on what effect would it have if I moved the screw now? I currently have around 187,000kms on the clock, so if all is correct its not due to come on for another 13,000km, does moving the screw reset the counter completely, or does it reverse its count? I’m trying to figure out will happen if I change it now, will the light come on at 287,000kms (current 187 + 100), or if it reverses the count, will it come on at 274,000kms (current 187 + counting back the next 87)

Anybody know what will actually happen????

Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Not sure what will happen with changing the screws,but there is another way of doing it,I saw this on tha Aus site a while ago,and this is how I did mine.

I just found out today how to do it!!!! This will take a while so get a cuppa or something and sit back & relax. First step is to pull the instrument cluster out of the dash. This involves about 8 screws and a dozen or so clips. Then unplug the 3 wiring plugs at the back of the cluster. Once you have the cluster out remove the Perspex cover (at all times after this is removed be very careful as the instruments & needles are very delicate). Now remove the 2 small screws on the Speedo face. Once these are removed very very carefully pry off the Speedo needle (be patient.... it will come off!) Next remove the facia from the Speedo and the clear plastic thingy underneath. Got it so far? Now, on the 10s of thousands number counter (the 6 in 60000), you will find a small gear and spring on an axle which drives a larger gear on the left hand side which is attached to a thing with numbers on it. This thing clicks over every 10 000 kays and when it reaches the right point a small cam on this thing activates a small stainless steel arm that then activates a micro switch. That is how it makes that annoying light come on! Now how to switch it off. Go back to the small gear with the spring. Slide the gear to one side and manually turn it by hand and the larger gear with the numbers on it should turn as well. Keep turning until you hear the little switch click. I think the number should probably read zero (In my excitement I didn't really pay too much attention to where it was). Now plug the cluster back in and start your car - the light should be gone. If it is still there you may have tuned it too far. If all is well put it all back together and Bobs your uncle. My Brother (a mechanic) and I did all this today by trial and error. If all else fails just remove the ****** light globe!! I hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
    X