Flat batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat batteries

I have a small problem that i am at a loss with at the mo.
    I went to start the truck after a few days of not using it and it would not start, the wifey said it was cause i had not used it for so long so i jumped it and checked the op of the alternator all ok , went out and got some stuff then came home no problems, thoght about when i had used it last and it was only a few days, so i put it down to a one off but the following day same thing wont start, tried it and just a slow crank over , the next day dead as a door nail.
    now i know you will all say that the batteries are shot but i put a new pair in not 5 months ago, so i reckon that something is draining them, any one had this yet? also as a coincedence the aerial no longer works so i took the supply fuse out after the first jump start just incase it was draining the bats?
    so much to do , so little money , so little time

Originally posted by surffreak
    I have a small problem that i am at a loss with at the mo.
    I went to start the truck after a few days of not using it and it would not start, the wifey said it was cause i had not used it for so long so i jumped it and checked the op of the alternator all ok , went out and got some stuff then came home no problems, thoght about when i had used it last and it was only a few days, so i put it down to a one off but the following day same thing wont start, tried it and just a slow crank over , the next day dead as a door nail.
    now i know you will all say that the batteries are shot but i put a new pair in not 5 months ago, so i reckon that something is draining them, any one had this yet? also as a coincedence the aerial no longer works so i took the supply fuse out after the first jump start just incase it was draining the bats?
    Sounds simple I know but I assume you've checked the terminals are all tight.
    Pete

Comment

Yes i have checked the terminals and they are all tight.
      have checked the altornator with no batteries connected and it is pumping out 14.5 volts and with the bats on at idle it is 12.8 volts and when reving it goes up to 13.5 volts.

when i tried to statr it today the batteries are down to 5 volts so i jumped it and took it out for a run and i have now left them dissed to see if they drain down on their own or if it is the car drawing a load from a stuck relay or somthing.

Comment

Originally posted by surffreak
        Yes i have checked the terminals and they are all tight.
        have checked the altornator with no batteries connected and it is pumping out 14.5 volts and with the bats on at idle it is 12.8 volts and when reving it goes up to 13.5 volts.

when i tried to statr it today the batteries are down to 5 volts so i jumped it and took it out for a run and i have now left them dissed to see if they drain down on their own or if it is the car drawing a load from a stuck relay or somthing.
        Sounds like one of the batteries has a dead short in it, bent plate or something. You may want to disconnect one of the batteries and see if it is any better, if not, try the other one. It will be harder to start as the total amps will be down.

The alternator also sounds like it isn't working properly, 12.8 volts at idle and 13.5 reving is a bit low.

Cheers

Comment

i tried taking one off at a time and it made no diference and i think the reason it seems a little low is that they were very flat and it is trying to put more in than it can supply as with no load it was at 14.5 on idle

Comment

It sounds like you have a Multimeter if you can measure the volts. After a run, so the batteries are charged, take the positive terminal off the battery and with the meter on Amps range connect it in series with the battery (between the posi terminal and the battery clamp) that should give you an indication of how much current is being drawn when the truck is parked up.

I found that with the clock, alarm, phone charger and all the ham radio toys I have in the car, that I had a current drain close to one amp. I now have all my accessories powered over a relay, so they are only connected when the ignition is in the first "on" position.
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
              I found that with the clock, alarm, phone charger and all the ham radio toys I have in the car, that I had a current drain close to one amp. I now have all my accessories powered over a relay, so they are only connected when the ignition is in the first "on" position.[/color]
              Thats why I have #3 battery sitting under the pax seat.
              It is a 6.5 Ah Gell cell and provides standby power for the radios etc.
              Only charges when engine is running, or connects to the outside world via a charging plug.
              Simon.O.
              '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Working...
              X