Parralleled Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parralleled Batteries

Not sure if I spelled that right, but anyway....

One of my two batteries has gone US. The other is fine and holding charge. Do I need to replace the duff battery with one identical to the good one, or can I mix 'n' match a bit?

It might be replaced with a second- hander for now, or one my brother has laying around in his workshop, just as a temporary measure, but I don't want to ruin the good battery with a bodge.

Youll find it better to match up the amps. But i did 2 totally different ones on mine for a month with no bother. However When i put 2 75 amps in it was noticeably better
    Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

You don't need to have two batteries, you can use one as long as the CCA rating is at least 700.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback chaps. I think I can wangle a spare out of one of the wreckers my brother has laying around.

Just wanted to be sure the mismatch in amps wouldn't cause any problems.

Bye the bye- when the hell did new batteries get so expensive?!

Comment

When you walked into halfords

Nah, i know what you mean, the last battery i replaced was £25 from a local factors about 4 years ago.

Toyota main stealers seem to be one of the cheapest places for batteries at £40-£45 each compared to £80 ish from halfords and the like.
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

The truck will function fine with just one battery, but if you do leave one battery off, you must insulate the terminals as the +ve terminal will be live and unfused. If it touches the other terminal or the body you could have quite an inferno.

Comment

Originally posted by SoundsDigital View Post
              The truck will function fine with just one battery, but if you do leave one battery off, you must insulate the terminals as the +ve terminal will be live and unfused. If it touches the other terminal or the body you could have quite an inferno.
              That's handy to know.
              So if I disconnect the terminals on the knackered battery, insulate both terminals (will insulation tape be ok?), presumably the good battery will perform better than it has been?

Comment

Originally posted by Shropshire Tim View Post
                That's handy to know.
                So if I disconnect the terminals on the knackered battery, insulate both terminals (will insulation tape be ok?), presumably the good battery will perform better than it has been?
                Yes. Also, insulate the positive cable end too.

Comment

Working...
                X