Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Starter

Hi all,

i need some technical advice, i have a keyless entry system with a boot release function, and want to modify this function to act as a remote starter.

The way i remember it is that there are two wires which need to be contacted for the ignition to be on, then one which needs to be contacted for 5 secs or so to start the engine.

Can this be done using a combination of relays? i.e, a timer one for the engine start and an on/off one for the ignition. If i then link these relays to activate when the boot release pulses will it work?

has anybody tried this before?
    If you pretend it goes fast... it will!!

If my mental agility is working, you would need one 2 pole relay to turn the ignition on, which once energised would latch on, one timer to start cranking after the glow plugs had finished, then another timer to disconnect the starter a few seconds later.

Given that the timers are about £30 a piece and you would then need a switch to disconnect it all as the way I have described would cause the ignition to latch on too.

It would be quite complicated and I guess would cost close to £100 in all. You can get alarms on ebay for about £35 with a remote starter on them, but I suspect you would still have to use timers to get the glow plugs to operate before you start it cranking.

Given the price of diesel, do you really want the engine running unnecessarily?

BTW I think it is against the law to have an vehicle engine running without someone at the controls anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by SoundsDigital View Post
      If my mental agility is working, you would need one 2 pole relay to turn the ignition on, which once energised would latch on, one timer to start cranking after the glow plugs had finished, then another timer to disconnect the starter a few seconds later.

Given that the timers are about £30 a piece and you would then need a switch to disconnect it all as the way I have described would cause the ignition to latch on too.

It would be quite complicated and I guess would cost close to £100 in all. You can get alarms on ebay for about £35 with a remote starter on them, but I suspect you would still have to use timers to get the glow plugs to operate before you start it cranking.

Given the price of diesel, do you really want the engine running unnecessarily?

BTW I think it is against the law to have an vehicle engine running without someone at the controls anyway.

Err, he has a V6, which is petrol.

Comment

In that case, I would look on ebay for an alarm with remote start. I got one from a guy called durhamparkingsensors on ebay. Whilst the instructiions could have been simpler, it works well and has all the features you would expect from a £500 alarm except thatcham approval.

I mounted it under the dash on the drivers side as all the wires for the windows and ignition were conveniently located and a grommet was already there to pass the siren wires through the bulkhead.

Here is a link to the item: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAR-ALARM-IMMO...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Working...
        X