Ticking sound on start up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ticking sound on start up

Hi guys the last four or five start ups I have had first thing in the morning I have heard a ticking noise. Just after fire up (and sometimes it has been a bit reluctant - ticking over a couple of times first) this tick tock tick tock almost as noisey as the indicator starts up. It lasts for about 45 seconds stops for about 15 to 30 seconds then starts again. It goes on and off periodically for the first three to five minutes of the journey then stops. There are no warning lights on or anything unless the bulb for one has gone. The truck is running fine too. At least I think it is. Anyone any ideas? It is coming from down the right hand side of the drivers footwell around the area of the fuses but I can't quite locate it.
    Please help, I feel when it's ticking as if it's about to explode or something?!!
    Member of the 115,000k club

hello mate.... it could be a sticky injector., try a full bottle of injector cleaner to a quater of a tank of derv, turn the overdrive of and turn the ect on, drive it like mad for a bit... It might not be this someone else may have another suggestion..

Colin
    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Could it be a valve rattling?

Comment

Originally posted by SoundsDigital View Post
        Could it be a valve rattling?
        yes could be
        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Cheers guys, I'll try the injector cleaner. Redex the sort of thing? It isn't a rattle it actually tick tocks just like an indicator does. Just slightly lower tone and slightly quieter.

Comment

It could be some sort of relay, clicking .....

There's always a payback .... Ya just never see it Comin !!!!
            Buncefield Burner

Comment

It does sound like a relay of some sort. Anyone had any relay problems eminating from the drivers footwell on startup?

Comment

the glow plug relay is attatched to the inner wing on the passenger side so it may be that.My truck has the ticking sound also but as far as i know its just the injectors but i can put up with the noise.My truck starts and runs ok so until i start having probs it'll stay as it is for the time
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

This is coming from the drivers side. Sounds like it's coming from the right hand side of the foot well. I've popped redex in just over quarter of a tank of derv with OD off and etc on. Last few starts have been a bit laboured. If I turn the key and wait before turning the final bit to turn over the engine it seems to start a bit better and doesn't tick tock but I've only tried this once. I'll see what happens and let you know. Otherwise I'll have to start trying to locate the relays etc.

Comment

when was the last time you changed the fuel and air filter? it might be worth changing them
                    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Air filter within the last year in fact loked at it last week and it is sweet. However!!! I changed the air intake hose last week for one of the blue ones from roughtrax.

Comment

There are lots of relays down there in the drivers footwell. To get to them, locate the plastic cover to the fuse box. The whole panel surrounding this covers the relays. Its basically the bit by your right foot running between the door and the bulkhead. To remove there is a screw-on cap near the front, undo this. You will prob also need to take of the bit of plastic trim where the floor carpet meets the edge of the door. it should just then slide (wiggle) back and off. You will now see as well as all the fuses about 5 or 6 relays. i am told there is a silver one which is part of the glow plug circuit. If this is clicking then it may just be your glow plugs clicking on again, especially if the clicking does not happen when you let them glow for a bit longer when starting the engine. i.e the combustion chambers are warmed up.

Hopefully this helps a bit.

PS anyone got a diagram for how the glow plug circuit works as mines a bit haywire too.

Comment

Originally posted by PC-Surf View Post
                          This is coming from the drivers side. Sounds like it's coming from the right hand side of the foot well. I've popped redex in just over quarter of a tank of derv with OD off and etc on. Last few starts have been a bit laboured. If I turn the key and wait before turning the final bit to turn over the engine it seems to start a bit better and doesn't tick tock but I've only tried this once. I'll see what happens and let you know. Otherwise I'll have to start trying to locate the relays etc.

Are you waiting for the buzzor to sound before you start it. sounds like your not letting the heater plugs do there job??
                          www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

buzzer? Mines has never buzzed. I have been turning the key half a turn to let it warm up the warm up light only lights up for a second or so. This seems to work sometimes but it is still ticking just not on every start up. I havn'y been able to identify exactly where the ticking comes from yet. Very annoying!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger View Post
                              Are you waiting for the buzzor to sound before you start it. sounds like your not letting the heater plugs do there job??
                              Only the 2.4s have the warning buzzer/beeper thingy.

Comment

Working...
                              X