Alternator Rating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator Rating

Cant seem to find out what the amperage output of my alternator is. I want to fit some more spotlights and maybe a 55w reversing light. I already have the two useless yellow things and a pair of 55w (to be upgraded to 100w) spots and I was going to upgrade the headlamp bulbs to 80/100w.

YES I know they aren't road legal, but hey how many coppers have light meters?

Dont want to keep replacing rectifiers. Had enough of that on my old transit with 8 spots and a LARGE set of amps / stereo / cb etc.

Cheers in advance

Dan
    I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Originally posted by Danno
    Cant seem to find out what the amperage output of my alternator is. I want to fit some more spotlights and maybe a 55w reversing light. I already have the two useless yellow things and a pair of 55w (to be upgraded to 100w) spots and I was going to upgrade the headlamp bulbs to 80/100w.

YES I know they aren't road legal, but hey how many coppers have light meters?

Dont want to keep replacing rectifiers. Had enough of that on my old transit with 8 spots and a LARGE set of amps / stereo / cb etc.

Cheers in advance

Dan
    I would be interested to know the outputs of these alternators too!!
    In the states they use a 100 amp alternator of an Mr2 and with a bit of jiggery pokery to fit the v6 4-runners! (they reckon the max output is 60 amps! standard)

I am concerned that with all the extra electrics iv'e fitted i may be on the limit of whats acceptable!

Someone must know??

Cheers all
    Neil
    www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

60amps max for all US and UK 4Runners, and pickups,can't see the Surfs being any different.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Early 2nd generation diesels with the vacuum pump on the back are 55Amp. Later 2.4's and 3.0's with front mounted vac pump are 70Amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Elvz
          Early 2nd generation diesels with the vacuum pump on the back are 55Amp. Later 2.4's and 3.0's with front mounted vac pump are 70Amp.
          Spot on again Elvz.

Neville

Comment

So, has anyone tried an alternator upgrade.
            Does anyone have anymore details on this MR2 swap?

Will the vacuum pump on the 2lte fit the MR2 alternator...?

Thinking about this now to upgrade the electrics... electric fan, lights, fridge... etc...

Just went to one place to see if they could rewind the existing alternator, and got the 'sharp intake of breath', "its an import isn't it", "parts will be difficult to find"...

<Diplomatic hat on>
            You worry about the alternator, I'll worry about the parts...
            <Diplomatic hat off>

It'll be about £420.00 +vat fitted...

I picked myself up off the floor and thanked him for taking a look.

Back to the drawing board.

andyL

Comment

No you can't put a vacuum pump on the MR2 alternator and no you can't uprate any of the Nippon Denso alternators. There are Bosch and Lucas equivalents of some of the Denso alternators and these can be uprated by fitting alternative parts.

Most auto electricians will rebuild a Denso alternator for under £100 because they dont have any special parts at all.

Comment

So the only option is to uprate the existing alternator.

What will that really mean? This chap mentioned that the maximum would be an output of 110amp's, does that sound feasible, or useable? provided the regulator is upgraded to match, I presume.

FrogsIsland4x4, a while back produced a high output alternator for use with winches that produced its peak output at a high idle... am I talking rubbish again?

Can an alternator be wound to produce at a particular rpm, or is that just down to the ratios of the pulleys, etc...?

Does anyone know of someone in the south east who would take this job on?

Next question is, has anyone got an alternator from a '91 2.4td Surf that they would like to sell.

Comment

Just an idea, but what about a Land Cruiser unit. Are they any higher output. If they are, one from a diesel should have the vacuum pump.
                  Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Good point.

If a '91 2.4 td Surf is an LN130... what is a land cruiser...?
                    andyL

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
                      Good point.

If a '91 2.4 td Surf is an LN130... what is a land cruiser...?
                      andyL

'91 Prado is a LJ70/71/73/75 and has the same alternator as the equivalent Surf
                      '91 Amazon is an HJ80 and it doesnt have a vacuum pump on the alternator

Changing the drive pulley size just alters the RPM at which the alternator produces power not the amount. To uprate the power output I think you would need more turns of wire on the stator or more poles on the rotor.

Comment

Can I suggest a Ford Transit alternator ? Do not know output power but has a vac pump on back .

I'll get my coat .............................. ...........

Rick
                        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Just checked on the Toyota EPC, and the Prado (LJxx) alternators do have vacuum pumps on and they rate upto 80Amps at the top end. So that would be a small increase of 20amps over the original. (15amps for electric fan, 5amps for the fridge, 10amps for the laptop/gps = 10amp shortfall without any other toys)

Thanks Vagrant No.2, a transit alternator may fit, just need to find a transit and compare. Any idea what the output on the transit alternator is?

Remember someone mentioning that someone's (previous) Prado/Landcruisers came with a 'fridge/cooler', so I would presume that the alternator had been beefed a little to handle it from the factory...?

So much stress, just because I changed the lovely viscous fan... which we all love and cherish, and added a few toys.

Yotatech mention Mr Alternator as a source of alternators for their 4runners. They do a 120amp and 150amp model for a '89 - '91 model 4runner, 2nd gen I presume. Anyone explored down this path?

andyL

Comment

Just checked on the Toyota EPC, and the Prado (LJxx) alternators do have vacuum pumps on and they rate upto 80Amps at the top end. So that would be a small increase of 20amps over the original. (15amps for electric fan, 5amps for the fridge, 10amps for the laptop/gps = 10amp shortfall without any other toys)

Thanks Vagrant No.2, a transit alternator may fit, just need to find a transit and compare. Any idea what the output on the transit alternator is?

Remember someone mentioning that someone's (previous) Prado/Landcruisers came with a 'fridge/cooler', so I would presume that the alternator had been beefed a little to handle it from the factory...?

So much stress, just because I changed the lovely viscous fan... which we all love and cherish, and added a few toys.

Yotatech mention Mr Alternator as a source of alternators for their 4runners. They do a 120amp and 150amp model for a '89 - '91 model 4runner, 2nd gen I presume. Anyone explored down this path?

andyL
                            Problem with the US ones is that they will be for the V6 or the 4cyl Petrol. The mounting brackets will be really different. You can probably get the current one rewound to give more output if you can find somewhere to get it done - also by fitting a smaller diameter pulley it will spin faster so give more output at lower revs although the ultimate output won't change much if any.

Cheers

Comment

Andy,

thanks for that. Currently trying to locate off board regulators and split charge diodes. Know of anyone in our area that will do it? Sahib Auto Electronics did the sharp intake of breath "its an import isn't it", and then plucked a figure out of the air (£420.00). Which I thought was a little steep.

Other option is to find an alternator of a similar age Landcruiser which was supposed to be 80amps and just get that refurbished/rewound to run with an off board regulator and split charge diode....

Further on Vagrant No.2's message.

FORD ALTERNATOR [JASM4]TRANSIT 2.5 DIESEL, TD
                              LRB381, 98VB10K359BA,98VB10K359BB,
                              98VB10K359BC
                              08.97-
                              95 AMP, INTERNAL FAN, V PUMP

£75.00

This is taken from Just Alternators and Starters. I presume this wouldn't integrate into the pulley system, and vacuum system on the 2lte...? That would be too easy...

andyL
                              Last edited by AndyLala; 29 June 2004, 14:18.

Comment

Working...
                              X