Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear window switch

hi guys,

am i being over ambitious here, but is it possible to make the rear window up & down switch to operate in a one touch up and one touch down mode just as the driver window does. if so can i wire the switch already there to do this or do i need a replacement. if i need a new switch can anyone point me in the right direction please, as in type of switch needed - ie- spdt or dpdt u no the sort.

thanks in advance once again guys

guess you would just change the relay to one with hold on and off contacts.

not sure if the windows have limit switches or if the relays are timed? that would be your only problem i could see.

I dont think the back window has limit switches so if you put a hold on contact onto that, once you press start it would keep going until you press stop. - and burn out the motor

Comment

Sounds like an interesting idea. For me personally I'd want it to operate like the drivers window - i.e. you can do either a one touch, or move in small amounts as I do like to drive along quite often with the window slightly open.

I suspect that you'll need to either add some limiting switches and latching relays as Sparkyaj said, or figure out some timing system. The switches and relays would probably be safer for the motor.

Either way, it's probably not an easy job.

*edit*
      Whoo hoo, that was post number 2000!!!!!
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

It ain't straight forward to do.

Comment

There's a guy on the Oz site who connected his up to a remote control. That sounds like the best way.
          See here http://toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewt...+window+remote
          Lifes a beach, so lets surf!

Comment

I know a person in England who has done it too........me
            The only issue I have is that mine leaves it on until you switch it off again. So I wired it into my fogs and have to remember to switch it off again after it has closed or opened fully.
            Damn useful mod it is tho.
            Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

im gonna dig out my haynes book and have a look at the wiring diagram for the front window,
              The only thing that worries me is, if you have children in and they know a switch it will keep winding until it has timed out which isn't too safe

other than that - its a coool idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                I know a person in England who has done it too........me
                The only issue I have is that mine leaves it on until you switch it off again. So I wired it into my fogs and have to remember to switch it off again after it has closed or opened fully.
                Damn useful mod it is tho.
                Did you ever work for Alfa or fiat. Had an alfa 75 that did pretty much the same as this.

Opened the sunroof and the lights came on!!
                http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

ok, i have found the wiring diagram

You would need to fit a latching relay (power window one) inline with the existing switch block and the motor. then in effect you would have a remote start switch just like the drivers window that would work from both the inside and external switch. coool
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Antshiel View Post
                    Did you ever work for Alfa or fiat. Had an alfa 75 that did pretty much the same as this.

You really don't know about my trucks additional wiring do you????
                    Lets just say there's no room to run anymore cables from the front to the back!!!
                    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

i guess all you did was connect your live supply from the drivers supply switch. that is bypassed from the lock switch so you can lock all windws except the drivers - maybe in your case the rear one too.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkyaj View Post
                        ok, i have found the wiring diagram

You would need to fit a latching relay (power window one) inline with the existing switch block and the motor. then in effect you would have a remote start switch just like the drivers window that would work from both the inside and external switch. coool
                        sparky, you seem to be the man to ask, do i fit the relay b4 or after the switch and is this going to or from the rear door, i no i'm being dumb, can handle the wiring etc did my electronics NVQ 12 years ago and havn't used it since so need a shove in the right direction, i will then have a play. am wiling to photo and doc the conversion and post once its completed, may just need a little gentle pushing along the way thats all

thanks again one and all.

nick( gnash13):

Comment

Originally posted by Antshiel View Post

Nope nope and nope

Comment

Originally posted by gnash13 View Post
                            sparky, you seem to be the man to ask, do i fit the relay b4 or after the switch and is this going to or from the rear door, i no i'm being dumb, can handle the wiring etc did my electronics NVQ 12 years ago and havn't used it since so need a shove in the right direction, i will then have a play. am wiling to photo and doc the conversion and post once its completed, may just need a little gentle pushing along the way thats all

thanks again one and all.

nick( gnash13):
                            If you look at the wiring plan I uploaded you will see from the fuse that the supply goes to the drivers lock switch in the door control first.

When that switch is close (in the on possition) it then goes through the switch and out to four contacts one on each window switch.

Each switch has two cables (open winding and Close winding) these both run from the switch to the window relay in each door I assume (though don't quote me on that location)

WHat you want to do is install your new power relay in replace of the relay that switches the back window.

Ie, the open and close wires from the door switch would then run to your new power relay. then out of the relay you would connect the open and close wires to the motor.

I could do with having a look at a power relay to see what connections it has on it. Then I could be more descriptive.

I'm away to Australia next week until april - though its a while away, when I return I will have a play with my one and if I get it going I will put a detailed guide on here as I think it will be a good mod that alot of others would do.

Good luck

Alastair

Comment

cheers, will start mine next week, am off over half term ,will update as i go.

Comment

Working...
                              X