2 into 1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 into 1?

Is it possible to convert from having two batteries on a surf into just having one? The idea behind this is that the batteries on mine are on their last legs and the past sharp frosts have almost finished them off. I'd like to replace the pair with one single battery, I realise it would have to be a more powerful battery than the two singels. Then I'd have room on the probably the passenger side to place my leasure battery as it's in the way in the back of the surf.
    Hold my beer and watch this

I see not why not. Some of em only have one anyway. Just disconnct everything from the redundent one and fit it to the one you're keeping.
    http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Mines got a single Battery Jason .....Ya could always swop Trucks if ya like, but mines absolutely Filthy !!!!

There's always a Payback .... Ya just never see it Comin !!!!
      Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by captain_chaos View Post
        Is it possible to convert from having two batteries on a surf into just having one? The idea behind this is that the batteries on mine are on their last legs and the past sharp frosts have almost finished them off. I'd like to replace the pair with one single battery, I realise it would have to be a more powerful battery than the two singels. Then I'd have room on the probably the passenger side to place my leasure battery as it's in the way in the back of the surf.
        http://toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/dualbattery1.htm
        I think this is what you want
        Trust your Hound.

Comment

Originally posted by Antshiel View Post
          I see not why not. Some of em only have one anyway. Just disconnct everything from the redundent one and fit it to the one you're keeping.
          that's what i thought, but don't I need one with a higher amp output than the ones used on a dual set up?

Comment

Originally posted by captain_chaos View Post
            that's what i thought, but don't I need one with a higher amp output than the ones used on a dual set up?
            Yes. You might have a problem fitting one in.

the wiring would have to be modified, from what I've seen the alternator feed and supply wires for all the electrics are connected to the O/S battery, the N/S has the heavy duty cables down to the engine earth and starter feed.

The batteries are linked by a heavy duty cable so I suppose it could be modifed to suit, and run the earth cable from the other side of the engine.
            Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Originally posted by coolsv650 View Post
              Yes. You might have a problem fitting one in.

the wiring would have to be modified, from what I've seen the alternator feed and supply wires for all the electrics are connected to the O/S battery, the N/S has the heavy duty cables down to the engine earth and starter feed.

The batteries are linked by a heavy duty cable so I suppose it could be modifed to suit, and run the earth cable from the other side of the engine.
              hmm so a bit of a rejig of the wires is needed, anyone know what size battery is needed for a solo set up?

Comment

I'm sure i read on here somewhere that the surf needs 700 cca (cold cranking amps). That said i replaced mine recently with 2x650 cca batteries and one of these was enough to start on. I currently have them in the standard dual battery config but plan to split them in the spring when it gets a bit warmer, use one as a starter and one to run the electrics when camping.
                Lifes a beach, so lets surf!

Comment

Originally posted by chaiwalla View Post
                  I'm sure i read on here somewhere that the surf needs 700 cca (cold cranking amps). That said i replaced mine recently with 2x650 cca batteries and one of these was enough to start on. I currently have them in the standard dual battery config but plan to split them in the spring when it gets a bit warmer, use one as a starter and one to run the electrics when camping.
                  that's my plan, will have a look at the battery wiring set up when I get some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Taliesins View Post
                    Ahem.
                    Trust your Hound.

Comment

Working...
                    X