Rear speakers again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear speakers again!

Recently fit uk spec cd head unit to my H plate 2.4 ssr, used Halfords correct iso lead connector and i'm not getting any rear speaker action. THe speakers also never worked with Jap stereo. Help?

Originally posted by tonk
    Recently fit uk spec cd head unit to my H plate 2.4 ssr, used Halfords correct iso lead connector and i'm not getting any rear speaker action. THe speakers also never worked with Jap stereo. Help?
    Some rear speakers go though a small factory fitted amp, I'd check this is working OK. (bad new is its behind the rear panels.)

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Are the rear panels difficult to remove?

Comment

Originally posted by tonk
        Are the rear panels difficult to remove?
        they are large and unwieldy, and the clips are a bugger to pop off without breaking them. apart from that, its easy!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

cheers man i'll give it a go

Comment

If you can get the car inside somewhere warm you wont break any/ so many clips. I had all my rear panels off last August, during a heatwave and didn't break one clip. I had one panel off in January and broke loads. It was -3C at the time but, hey, Surf work is important - right?
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

I've got the exact same speaker problem, could someone please clarify which panels need removing??

Thanks.

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
              If you can get the car inside somewhere warm you wont break any/ so many clips. I had all my rear panels off last August, during a heatwave and didn't break one clip. I had one panel off in January and broke loads. It was -3C at the time but, hey, Surf work is important - right?

Comment

I've just changed the speakers all round on my 94 Surf. To get to your rear speakers, you have to first remove the rear roof center section which is held in place by fragile clips. Pulling on the panel will free them. Once loose, disconnect the light and stash the section to the side.

For the side panel, there's probably two screws in the top corner connecting it to the body, where you've just removed the center section. Remove these, the rear seatbelt bracket, and a small screw just by the seats. You may have to remove the center bash plate too which is also held on by screws. Now just pull away at more fragile clips.

Once removed, you'll see the speakers in their mini amp pods between the surf body, and the little cubby storage box.

I removed mine completely, fitted new speaker wire from the head unit, and cleverly placed some Sony Xplod 6x9's instead. The acoustics in the Surf aren't that good for bass, so I also fitted a 10" VIBE sub with built in amp.
                Everything's easy, when you know how!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                  If you go to Halfords you can get an interior clip remover - well worth the money, you will be removing a few over the years. Looks like a fork with 2 large tines.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                    they are large and unwieldy, and the clips are a bugger to pop off without breaking them. apart from that, its easy!

Easy for you Tony, We wouldnt use an angle grinder...

Comment

To add pictures to words, Codlord has a description in his website.

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/rear_trim.htm

Rich.

Originally posted by phorbiuz
                      I've just changed the speakers all round on my 94 Surf. To get to your rear speakers, you have to first remove the rear roof center section which is held in place by fragile clips. Pulling on the panel will free them. Once loose, disconnect the light and stash the section to the side.

For the side panel, there's probably two screws in the top corner connecting it to the body, where you've just removed the center section. Remove these, the rear seatbelt bracket, and a small screw just by the seats. You may have to remove the center bash plate too which is also held on by screws. Now just pull away at more fragile clips.

Once removed, you'll see the speakers in their mini amp pods between the surf body, and the little cubby storage box.

I removed mine completely, fitted new speaker wire from the head unit, and cleverly placed some Sony Xplod 6x9's instead. The acoustics in the Surf aren't that good for bass, so I also fitted a 10" VIBE sub with built in amp.
                      If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Right, thanks to all your help, I've had the nearside rear panel off, and there's a supply to the amp, but nothing from it. Thing is, neither rear speaker works, so it spookily looks like both amps could be down
                        Off to the 'wanted' forum for me then!

Comment

Working...
                        X