Non Starter ? Try this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non Starter ? Try this.

Hi folks. After taking advice off you lot before I thought I'd share a little tip I found the other day.
    I've a 94 3.0 auto and for years it's had an intermittant starting fault. Usually fine but now and again, all it would do is click from the gearbox area and not spin at all. Normally trying a few times or pushing forward on the gear lever while in park would sort it, until a week ago, when it failed to start at all.
    The wife had the car at the time so didn't take any notice of what the RAC did to get it going, but he told her it needed a new starter. Naturally it was fine the next day when I tried.
    Now I searched on here and it seemed likely it was the starter motor, or possibly the very expensive inhibitor switch.
    I started to take the starter motor off but as it was raining hard thought better of that so I thought I'd take a look under the centre console.
    Now I don't know if it was the inhibitor switch itself but to the left of the gearlever is a white plastic thing that has a part inside which slides up and down with the gearlever. As it slides, electrical contacts move up and down.
    I thought it was worth having a look so took it off and it was black with sooty old greasy stuff. A squirt of WD40 and a wipe, put it back together and tried it. Been a week now and it's not played up once. I might be lucky but it's a quick and free remedy, and worth a try for anyone with a non-starter.
    Cheers
    Bazza
Working...
X