4runner amplified stereo has no power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4runner amplified stereo has no power

hi all, i have bought a sony stereo to go in my 4runner mk2 ,the 4runner has a built in amplifier so i had to buy a pc9411 lead to connect the sony stereo but once it was all connected properly it has no power !
    im led to beleive that if it was the incar fuse that was faulty that the electric mirrors wouldnt work either but they do, i have power going to everything apart from the stereo, i bought the car without a stereo fitted.
    the fuse in the back of the stereo is fine and the sony stereo definately works.

any ideas anyone ?

hi mate
    installed a sony into my surf without problem using an adaptor lead.
    have you checked the toyota plug with a voltmeter to see that you actually have wiggly amps and electric beetles running through the 4runner's wiring.
    Checking fuses is one thing but if you aint got voltage in the first place, fuses won't tell you anything
    Keep your friends close and a hammer closer

Comment

tbh ive got a multimeter but not sure how to use it or where i would need to connect it to to test for voltage !
      i think the 4runner harness is different to the surfs.

Comment

Originally posted by white akita
        tbh ive got a multimeter but not sure how to use it or where i would need to connect it to to test for voltage !
        i think the 4runner harness is different to the surfs.
        Just connect the black fly lead to an earth and test with the red fly lead, simple as that. just make sure it's set to 12v dc
        http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

thats the way (though the multimeter may have different ranges for the dc voltage and 20V is the standard setting to check 12v systems on most multimeters).
          Also, probe the vehicle plug with the ignition OFF firstly. You should find one 12v source. Then check with the ignition ON and you should find a second 12v source (should read anything up to 14.5v) as well as the one you found with the ignition off.

Look here (http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Toyota-Wiring.pdf) to get a good idea of where you should be probing

Comment

Originally posted by rainmaker02
            thats the way (though the multimeter may have different ranges for the dc voltage and 20V is the standard setting to check 12v systems on most multimeters).
            Also, probe the vehicle plug with the ignition OFF firstly. You should find one 12v source. Then check with the ignition ON and you should find a second 12v source (should read anything up to 14.5v) as well as the one you found with the ignition off.

Look here (http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Toyota-Wiring.pdf) to get a good idea of where you should be probing
            my 4runners harness is different to the surfs harness in the link.

Comment

You should still be able to find the two 12v power inputs and also (by changing the multimeter setting) the earth.
              If you can't find these and, as you say, all the fuses are intact you may have a loom problem, ie, a broken wire or wires somewhere between the fusebox and the stereo connectors.
              When you checked the fuses, did you pull them and visually inspect them or use your multimeter? If the fuses are standard blade fuses, you can usually get a multimeter probe into both sides of the fuse whilst its in situ. That lets you see if you've a) got power to one side of the fuse and b) that its successfully getting across the fuse. Visual checking is ok but sometimes unreliable.

Comment

According to another website, an '06 4runner has the following colours at the stereo harnes:
                Permanent 12v - blue/yellow
                Ignition 12v (when ignition ON) - grey
                Earth - brown

Comment

thanks alot i will check it out in the morning

Comment

i have just tried my multimeter on the wires and i dont think there is any power going through them, must be a broken wire somewhere.

Comment

Just a thought, but as you said you weren't sure about using the multimeter - try measuring a known GOOD circuit (ie, that you can measure 12V at that location). Try the fag lighter (you need to go right onto the small contact in the middle at the bottom).
                      If you can do that you're obviously doing it right; just a thought because it can be so very easy to think you've got everything right and therefore got a problem only to find that you're not on a proper earth or similar.

Comment

hi, i have had the voltmeter onto the cig lighter and found there is power going to it, but there is no power going to the stereo lead, its dead !
                        ive checked the fuse under the steering wheel and the fuse is ok,
                        any ideas guys ?

Comment

anyone ?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X