Speaker Sizes needed please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by markp2 View Post
    Changed my front speakers last month - 6" ones fitted OK with a bit of fiddling.
    Rear ones to follow so I am also interested in the size needed!
    The ones in the back doors of my Gen3 measure 5" if this helps!

Comment

Mine done at the weekend (3rd Gen 1996).

The sizes for swaps are 165mm (6.5") front and 100mm (4") rear. The issue is that the original speakers mount to 3 screws and any replacements mount to 4 - also the placement of the 3 screws on the original mounting ring is on a larger diameter than the mounting ring of most replacement speakers - so you can maybe get away with using one or two of the original holes, but then the speaker will not sit as central as the original.

You will end up having to fiddle to get the other mounting points screwed down. You should also take care to seal any gaps in the original hole around the new speaker because it will suck out the air pressure the speaker is trying to create. Window sealant used in mine.

Went with 165mm components in the front and 100mm 2-ways in the rear on a 400W Sony amp and a JVC double-din head unit. If you want to be king of the clownburger car park then I think you'd need a sub because the inside of the truck is big. I didn't want a sub as the back is often full with bikes and pushchairs; I need the space.

Also beware of feeds to oem Jap satnav units and speaker feeds from such interrupting the circuit...

Then run your bass-test samples at a decent whack and see what parts of the inside rattle! Yes, collars around the door pins, I mean you!
      Last edited by J i m s t e r; 14 November 2010, 22:58.
      Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Went out to the local pimp my Corsa shop and bought a pair of Vibe Slick 6 6" speakers for the front of my Gen 3 as recommended by the very helpful guy in the shop, best in their class apparently. They fitted fine but came straight back out as they sounded shit compared to what I took out. It seems that someone had already fitted JBL GTO 627 speakers in the front, should have checked before buying new. Mistake I made was fitting them into the cards rather than behind the standard integrated grill so I'm now stuck with Vibe grills & surrounds or big holes

Rears are still standard looking however, so off to get the updated version of the JBL's I have in the front tomorrow. Standard rear speakers are 4" in my Gen 3.

For anyone fitting new speakers, the door cards are easily enough cut to accommodate bigger speakers, I used a sharpened Opinel 3.5" lock knife and it made a very neat job.

Cheers

Ben

Comment

I would avoid fitting them to the cards because the cards are not as rigid as the door inner itself (steel). I looked at putting some 6x9s into the rear boot panels but they are big and plastic, and I think I would have been entering a world of undesirable vibration.
          Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Originally posted by J i m s t e r View Post
            I would avoid fitting them to the cards because the cards are not as rigid as the door inner itself (steel). I looked at putting some 6x9s into the rear boot panels but they are big and plastic, and I think I would have been entering a world of undesirable vibration.
            Jim,

I tried the Vibes in the original door mounts in the front rather than the cards, still sounded shit so put the JBL's back in the mounts and left the Vibe grills over the front of the door cards, clearer treble with Vibe grills instead of the perforated plastic that covers speakers as standard in the Surf.

Managed to get some 6" speakers to fit into the back doors, took out original rear mounts and fitted in some Autoleads Mondeo mounts with some sound cloth around the edges. Mounts needed a couple of holes drilled and a few lugs removed but combined with the plastic brackets that came with the JBL's it was fairly painless and sounds much better.

Cheers

Ben

Comment

Working...
            X