Speaker Sizes needed please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker Sizes needed please...

I am going to make the most of the New Year Sales and want to put a new stereo and speakers into the truck. I don't want to rip out the door panels until i'm ready to fit the kit, so i can't measure the existing speakers.

I have trawled through the forum and looked at every speaker related thread i can find but for reasons that i can't figure, no-one seems willing to say what size speakers are needed for 3rd Gen Surfs!

There is plenty of info for 2nd gens, but i remember being told they are different to the 3rds when it comes to speakers. So please, someone have pity on me and let me know what the front door and rear door speaker sizes are for the 3rd gen.

happy new solar rotational period.

adam
    adam

"silly keeps you sane"

I made some mounts for my 6x9's to go in the cargo area out of MDF and covered them with grey felt like material. And for the front i spoke to a friend of mine who owns www.audiosport.co.uk and got some door pods for the front doors.
    Attached Files

Comment

thats nice.....but it doesn't really answer my question.

thanks anyway.

adam
      adam

"silly keeps you sane"

Comment

at a gess they are 4 inch but would have to pull the door cards off the be sure, sorry i know that doesnt answer your question..so why did i bother typing all this then, god i need to get a life or a drink
        Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

i think you may well find they aint a standard size, so whatever size you get you'll have to 'make' them fit. 4" (10cm)would be easiest to fit as you should just be able to make adaptor ring to fit them to then fit this to the original mounts, but 5.1/4" (13cm) would give you vastly better midrange and at a push just a touch of bass and would sound vastly superior, but might need a bit more effort to fit.
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

i fitted 10cm in the front of mine and that was a squeeze

Comment

Just take out the existing speakers and measure them. Then go and buy suitable replacements!

Whats the point in buying speakers and keeping them under your bed for six months like Rod Leach?

Comment

if it's a 3rd gen they are 16.5 cm front and rear in mine but worth checking to make sure yours are the same
                Last edited by kiowa; 31 December 2007, 00:46.
                I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

thank you. That confirms what i found trawling through one of the america forums.

adam
                  adam

"silly keeps you sane"

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                    Just take out the existing speakers and measure them. Then go and buy suitable replacements!

Whats the point in buying speakers and keeping them under your bed for six months like Rod Leach?

Valid point - it wasnt quiet six months, but it was a long time

Comment

Originally posted by lightningad View Post
                      I am going to make the most of the New Year Sales and want to put a new stereo and speakers into the truck. I don't want to rip out the door panels until i'm ready to fit the kit, so i can't measure the existing speakers.
                      Have you sorted out new speakers for your truck, as I'm in the predicament as you were - I don't want to take the door cards off to find the size.

Can you confirm the size of the speakers are 16cm 6 1/4 " ???

And out of interest, what make of speakers did you get?

I'm going to get one of these I think http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/5602.html but can't decide on speakers, maybe pioneer or alpine.

Comment

Originally posted by sounddezign View Post
                        Have you sorted out new speakers for your truck, as I'm in the predicament as you were - I don't want to take the door cards off to find the size.

Can you confirm the size of the speakers are 16cm 6 1/4 " ???

And out of interest, what make of speakers did you get?

I'm going to get one of these I think http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/5602.html but can't decide on speakers, maybe pioneer or alpine.
                        Sorry to say but in the end i didn't bother! I decided to spend the money on something non-car related instead. After listening to all the 16cm speakers at Halfrauds, i decided the speakers already in the truck were as good as any of the options in store, and without spending really silly money to replace the headunit as well for something extra special, it was all really a waste of time and effort.

As a sound editor by trade, i'm really picky anyway, so if i can't find speakers that sound right, then i'm not gonna bother wasting my time on kit that makes you wince when its switched on. If you want speakers that sound totally un-natural, forced , boomy and ear splittingly tinny then you have a great range to choose from. If your ear is more discerning...good luck!
                        adam

"silly keeps you sane"

Comment

Just in case anyone else pulls this thread up in a search. The 3rd Gen rear speakers on my SSR-G were 10cm. The replacements fitted plug and play. Haven't done the fronts yet, but they are definitely bigger.
                          Last edited by Nicely; 3 July 2008, 09:38.
                          1996 VZN185 3.4 V6 SSR-G

Comment

Hi,

It's a while since anything was posted here. I'm looking to change the speakers in my 96 gen 3 SSRX. Has anyone got a definite size both front & rear to save me taking off the door cards?

Thanks in advance

Ben

Comment

Changed my front speakers last month - 6" ones fitted OK with a bit of fiddling.
                              Rear ones to follow so I am also interested in the size needed!

Comment

Working...
                              X