No announcement yet.

3rd gen. climate control not working !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gen. climate control not working !

I have a technical query: My 1996 SSRG is fitted with the climate control option. The heating either works full blast delivering hot air, or if I move the control slider just a little to the left, it then chucks out freezing cold air. I could be wrong but don’t think the problem is with the heater matrix as it is delivering plenty of warm air, it just does not seem to be regulating the temperature..... I have followed the instructions on previous threads to clean out the sensor and the sniffer pipe which is located under the dash. It was very clogged but I have very carefully completely cleaned the pipe and sensor then re-installed it. (I didn’t know how to check it electrically though). The various servo motors to control the vents seem to be working fine.

I have run the engine up and still find the problem is there. It seems like other guys have had the same issues with their surfs. Any chance you could let me know if there is something I am missing from my diagnostic checks, I am getting fed up with either freezing or roasting!!

Woodylovestosurf

i don't know if climate control works quite the same, but normally speaking if you lose all but the highest fan speed on your blowers it's because the rheostat is fubarred. It is sometimes repairable if you're handy with basic electronics. Like i said i'm not sure if climate control works the same.
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

Thanks, I will take a look at it this weekend. If the contacts are dirty that may well explain part of the problem. In the meantime if anyone else has any ideas or thoughts I would be grateful for your expert advice.

On my surf there is what looks like a black button on the top of the dashboard by the drivers side windscreen vent. I suspect this is some sort of a sensor device. Does anyone know? Also I guess there must be an external ambient temprature sensor which will be located possibly somewhere in the engine bay. Does anyone know where that is so I can test to see if that is the problem.

Comment

If your rehostat ( variable resistor or knob you turn to adjust speed) is sick and its a pig to remove try squirting a solvent cleaner into the rehostat... i have even used WD40 at times... these devices fail because with wear and tear little bits of carbon flake off inside and bugger them up...spraying a cleaner inside purges all the crap out and gives it a new lease of life...

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Originally posted by Vultch
          If your rehostat ( variable resistor or knob you turn to adjust speed) is sick and its a pig to remove try squirting a solvent cleaner into the rehostat... :
          Hi Vultch great to hear from you: I will take your advice and fire up the WD40. Anything to avoid having to rip apart the dashboard!!

I have been doing some research into the climate control problems with the 3rd Gen. Surfs. It seems when this symtom happens it could be one of 3 problems:

1. The Sensors are not working properly. There are 3 of them. An in-car sensor which is located below and to the left of the steering wheel. The solar sensor which is located on the dashboard by the windscreen, (hint it looks like a black button) and the 3rd sensor is an ambinet sensor mounted between the front grille and the radiator.

2. Problems with the variable resistor wearing out, or getting gummed up with crap.

3. The circuit board behind the controls failing. Apparantly they are prone to getting dry joints and the only remedy is to re-flow the circuit board. This problem also happens on Toyota Supras as they have a very similar climate contol set-up to the Surfs.

If your fix does not work I will have to check out the above turn by turn: rolleyes4

Comment

No problem...sometimes this prob can be seen in electronic stuff..old radios or tv's were the volume control starts to play up it crackles when turned and does not work properly...usually spraying in a cleaner to its innards and letting the cleaner dribble out it carries out the worn carbon bits and the control has a new lease of life...

Back in the day Baby

Comment

.....On my surf there is what looks like a black button on the top of the dashboard by the drivers side windscreen vent. I suspect this is some sort of a sensor device. ....

This is not a temp sensor, it a component (most likely a transmitter) for the built-in GPS.

Comment

Working...
              X