Flat battery problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat battery problems

I am new here so forgive me, if I am not too clear on what I have got it is I think a SSRX 1996 3.0 litre diesel.

It is a flat battery problem, which looking through the past posts others seem to have shared but no satisfactory diagnosis seems to have been arrived at.

We bought it in September last year & then last December one coldish day the battery couldn't deliver enough oomph to turn it over. AA man 'tested' the battery which was considered to have failed, but as far as I can see may merely have been flat. A new battery was purchased. I wondered whether it was charging properly so put a meter on & up went the volts as I reved a bit.

All was well until a few days ago, battery very weak & no starting. Now we have retired it might be several days before it is driven & then for only short journeys. So perhaps it doesn't get a chance to get charged up fully.

But the same was true in the summer, but of course in this cold weather the colder engine needs more oomph to turn it over & there is the drain when we go along with the lights on & the heater blower.

I charged up the battery & all is fine again, except on a cold morning it is a bit touch & go if it will manage it. But yes the alternator is still charging it.

Looking at the previous threads there seemed to be two main avenues of thought.

Some people have considered it was the poor contacts on the starter motor or resigned themselves to buying a new battery after a year. But nobody seems to have considered if the was anything causing the battery power to slowly drain away, which would be particularly evident if the thing is only being used a couple of times a week.

With everything turned off, I disconnected the -ve batterry terminal. Inseted an ammeter & was surprised to see a current drain of about 200ma ie nearly a quarter of an amp! This is quite a significant drain & surely can't be right?

So I decided to pull fuses in turn to see which circuit was draining the battery. The fuse box under the bonnet revealed that removing one fuse it removed the major drain leaving just 30ma which could be explained by the alarm circuitary & the memory back up on the radio & is acceptable. Now the fuse I pulled supplies "DOME" now what an earth is the dome?

Unlike most people we seem only to have one battery. It seems to have been suggested that this was for all the gizmos & accessories that Japanese drivers like. But I think it is to do with the cold whether spec for the vehicle. We used to have a Pajero (sorry), most of them I saw had only one battery, but there was a higher rated version for owners who lived near the mountains ie colder, had two batteries in parrallel to help with the extra demands of turning of a stiff & cold engine.

So does anyone else get a continous drain on their battery or can explain what circuits are run off the DOME circuit & what that does?

Thanks

Clive

Clive[/quote]

Dont know what dome means, but a friend of mine put a high output 12v tractor battery in. if you have room that might be a good option, Others will correct me if this is a bad idea, but tractor engines need a good punch to get started.
    Last edited by The Lang-Shankit Scunner; 12 December 2007, 23:40.
    Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Dome is the interior light circuit.

And Carl, please abbreviate the post you 'quote' i.e, delet some of it, if it takes up half the page, especially when people do it with loads of big pics, t'is blummin' annoying having to scroll down each time to reads other's replys.

Fanx.

Comment

Done diddley unn
        Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Oak diddley okeley!

Comment

Originally posted by fv1620
            Unlike most people we seem only to have one battery. It seems to have been suggested that this was for all the gizmos & accessories that Japanese drivers like. But I think it is to do with the cold whether spec for the vehicle. We used to have a Pajero (sorry), most of them I saw had only one battery, but there was a higher rated version for owners who lived near the mountains ie colder, had two batteries in parrallel to help with the extra demands of turning of a stiff & cold engine.
            Non-efi derv Surfs up to 90'ish had one battery unless you had the winter pack, from 91ish to 95' (EFI 2.4 and 3.0 2nd Gen) should all have two batterys, regardless of spec, then 96-on 3rd Gens went back to one battery (had more room in the engine bay, so could get the power needed from one big battery) unless you had the winter option that has 2 batterys and a fuel heater.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by fv1620
              Now we have retired it might be several days before it is driven & then for only short journeys. So perhaps it doesn't get a chance to get charged up fully.
              This is probably your main problem along with the colder weather. Was the dome circuit tested with the doors closed and interior lights off? Have the battery charged, load tested and topped up. If you only do short trips every few days then think about putting the battery on a charger more often to keep it charged. Deeply discharging the battery all the time will shorten it's life dramatically.

Nev

Comment

BTW. Having two batteries will not help you if they do not get charged.

Nev

Comment

Thank you for the "Dome" explanation, never heard that before. Yes the interior lights were all off & in fact they rarely seem to come on when you want them to.

I take the point about a beefier battery. Obviously having a greater capacity & more power in reserve the cold morning is an advantage.

But what bugs me is that whatever batttery is there, it is being trickled away by this 200ma drain which is a very curious fault. It is not a charging issue it charges ok & even when I charge it up, with time the power just leaks away through this 200ma trickle.

Seeing that others have had fairly a short life from their batteries made me wonder if this was a design fault based on the asumption of a pattern of daily useage.

Thanks

Clive
                  Last edited by fv1620; 13 December 2007, 00:46.

Comment

Flat Battery

DOME is American speak for interior light.

As one post advised check all the roof and interior or courtesey lights go out when the doors are closed.
                    Perhaps someone has taken a tapping off the "dome" light circuit for something else.

As far as charging is concerned when starting a vehicle especially a diesel and even more so in the colder darker winter weather it takes about 30 minutes of running or 15 to 20 miles to put back into the battery what you have taken out in starting it.
                    Although alternators are supposed to gtive a higher charge rate than a dynamo they are more voltage orientated and can be told "lies" by the AVR and fooled into thinking that as the "running" voltage is up the battery is fully charged but the voltage is up quite quickly but the capacity has not been replenished fully.
                    Food for thought eh!.

Regards.

Mike

Comment

Mike. Yes I take the point that measuring an increase in battery voltage as a result of the alternator activities is not an indication of state of charge. I was just using it as guide to the fact that the alternator was giving some output.

I have several military vehicles which have ammeters & that gives a proper idea of whats going on. I wish modern vehicles had them. Has any one fitted an ammeter to their vehicles, is there an easy way to do it?

And does anyone have a circuit diagram of any sort please? It would be nice to see what goes where, but I suppose that sort of thing is closey guarded by the dealers?

Comment

If you don't drive much it might be worth getting a solar trickle charger. You just stick it on the (inside of the) windscreen and it keeps your battery topped up.Not sure how a 3rd gen is wired but if the lighter works with the ignition off you can just plug the charger in there. If not, you need to run the wires to the battery, which is hardly the hardest thing ever.

Comment

just a small note,you say its charging but at what rate?should be between 13.5 volts and 14.5 volts,if its higher or lower u have an alternator/earth fault

Comment

Yes its within those limits. I appreciate that short trips may well not replace what was taken out by starting.

But the real issue is this constant 200ma drain from the battery. If I put the mains charger on & the battery is fully charged, then if the vehicle is not run for a week or so, most of the power has trickled away. This battery is barely a year old & was a replacement for the fairly new battery replaced a year ago when I had this trouble in last years cold spell.

What I'm wondering is, does anyone else experience this drainage or do I have a fault. But maybe they all do it & is it not noticed because they are using their vehicle daily?

Thanks

Clive

Comment

u shouldnt have that kind of drain,and more to point if alternator is chargin ok,battery is near new,then the drain is the problem,disconnect your interior lights one by one,until the drain stops,a very handy way to check is with amp clamp,but u seem to be managin ok with meter,it will prob be a contact on a light somewhere or a door contact

Comment

Working...
                              X