Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HID lights help.

I've bought some HIDs from HIDs4u.

They seem ok but the balast don't seem to work. I've now had 3 but none of them work.

The ballasts connect from the light loom(?) and then the HID from the ballasts.

However, the supplier is asking if I have a +ve feed.

So my question is, How do I test the polarity of the feed? ( I thought it was -ve )
    There are 10 kind of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

'There's no place like 127.0.0.1'

Originally posted by onlynik
    I've bought some HIDs from HIDs4u.

They seem ok but the balast don't seem to work. I've now had 3 but none of them work.

The ballasts connect from the light loom(?) and then the HID from the ballasts.

However, the supplier is asking if I have a +ve feed.

So my question is, How do I test the polarity of the feed? ( I thought it was -ve )
    In what sense does he mean a + feed?

The three pins on the headlight wiring plug are:-

a common +, i think this is the one on the right as you look at the front of the plug. This goes + when the lights are switched on, but never goes - even with the lights switched off IIRC.

the other two switch from - to + depending on dipped or main beam. When dipped one will be - the other will be +, switch to main beam and the one that was - will become + and vice-versa. When the lights are switched off both of these will go - IIRC
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

thanks, getting an different connector for the ballast.

I'll let you know the outcome.
      There are 10 kind of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

When I got my HID kit I also got a seperate loom that connected the ballasts directly to the batterys, and had no problems with them. I will see If i can find the site I got them form and post a link
        I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Originally posted by jotto
          When I got my HID kit I also got a seperate loom that connected the ballasts directly to the batterys, and had no problems with them. I will see If i can find the site I got them form and post a link
          That would be ace.

Thanks

Nik

Comment

onlynik,
            Did you get the lights sorted, if so what was the kit and the different plugs you had to get?

Comment

The company I got mine from seem to have gone
              I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Couple of options here.. all depends on how the HID is setup.

I would presume that the ballast has to be charged to fire the HIDs. The switching comes from the lighting loom.

Jotto, remember the lighting loom...

There may not be enough oomph to charge the ballasts of the headlight loom.

If we could see the HID wiring instructions...?

I am thinking they would get an ignition switched feed from the batteries to charge the ballasts, and use the headlight loom to fire the lamps.

PS. I had heard that HIDs4u had a good rep with some of the other forums users...

Comment

onlynik
                  Did you finally get the lights sorted?
                  I have dealt with Hids4u before and found them OK.
                  I would like to upgrade my lights to Xenon, any tips?
                  Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X