Gear indicator light.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear indicator light.

Should my gear indicaror back light (Automatic) be on all the time when my lights are on? And should it flash when my OD button is out?

Currently it does this:

Lights off - Backlight off
    Lights off, foot brake on, in park - Backlight on dim
    Lights on, foot brake on, in park, selector release button pressed - Backlight off
    Lights off, foot brake on, in gear - Backlight off
    Lights on - Backlight on bright
    Lights on, foot brake on, in park - Backlight on dim
    Lights on, foot brake on, in park, selector release button pressed - Backlight off
    Lights on, foot brake on, in gear - Backlight off

Is that right?
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Originally posted by andy62
    Should my gear indicaror back light (Automatic) be on all the time when my lights are on? And should it flash when my OD button is out?

Currently it does this:

Lights off - Backlight off
    Lights off, foot brake on, in park - Backlight on dim
    Lights off, foot brake on, in gear - Backlight off
    Lights on - Backlight on bright
    Lights on, foot brake on, in park - Backlight on dim
    Lights on, foot brake on, in gear - Backlight off

Is that right?
    Err, nope, doesn't sound right. I'm pretty sure my backlight only comes on when the lights are on, and it's a constant brightness irrespective of pedals/buttons pressed.

Sounds like you have a dodgy contact somewhere, maybe in the earthing system. However I have no idea where you should look first.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Comment

Got an update on this.

When I press the brake pedal, the gearstick release solenoid activates (i.e. the gearstick is released) When I press the button on the gearstick with the brakes still on, the solenoid de-activates, I also hear a relay operating behind the dash somewhere, and locks the gearstick!

Anyone know of a relationship between all these problems?

Comment

Anyone know of a relationship between all these problems?
        Probably a duff -ve connecton. Try changing the bulb, and checking all the connections.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Another update!

The idiot light for the OD wasn't working, I put a new lamp in it and it now flashes (along with the gear position indicator light) even when the car is in OD.

I'm thinking the wee computer thingy for the gear selector lock may be at fault. Any suggestions?

Comment

Another update!

The idiot light for the OD wasn't working, I put a new lamp in it and it now flashes (along with the gear position indicator light) even when the car is in OD.
            When the O/D light flashes this is the gearbox fault indicator, you have a problem with the gearbox (which is why the bulb was probably taken out!)

You need to do the diagnostics (do search its been covered recently) and count the number of flashes to find the fault.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

AHA!

Found one of the threads. My speedo head is gubbed, could this be the root of some of my electrical issues? Or is it a symptom of them...

Comment

Working...
              X