X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange alarm sound

Hey folks,

A small question:
    Does anyone know why when I turn the ignition and wait a bit for the glow plugs to do their thing I get an alarm sound? Continuous after about five seconds.

Also ECT does not appear to work- could this be a fuse or summit?

cheers
    Ronnie.

Originally posted by whitespider
    Hey folks,

A small question:
    Does anyone know why when I turn the ignition and wait a bit for the glow plugs to do their thing I get an alarm sound? Continuous after about five seconds.

cheers
    Ronnie.
    Hi whitespider
    the alarm sound you are hearing is to let you know you have left the keys in the ignition with out starting the motor. It just happens to coincide roughly with your glow plug light. Mine is a little longer than that. I now on cold morning starts dont turn the key until I hear it. I belive heating process is still working after the light goes out breifly.

Geoff.
    Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

Originally posted by whitespider
      Hey folks,

A small question:

cheers
      Ronnie.
      ECT doesn't work.... probably the bulb gone on the dash... it makes no difference to the engine... unless mine's broken!
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
        ECT doesn't work.... probably the bulb gone on the dash... it makes no difference to the engine... unless mine's broken!
        Why not, everything else seens to be! (just read you 'broken' list...)

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hi,

The bleep is a reminder to tell you the car has finished preheating & you've not done anything about it..... if you listen really carefully you hear the glow plug relay 'clunk' just before this happens.... me being lazy I use it as a 'time to start the car' alarm as I'm loading up my sandwiches, fags, stick glasses on face, seatbelt on...beeeeeeeeep....start car !

The ECT is apparently supposed to have a light, on the 2nd gen its to the right of the suspension 'hard' light... right in the corner. Mine doesnt work either and can I be bothered changing the bulb????? If its working you'll notice it most bumbling around at 40mph, if the ECT is off and you 3/4 throttle the car will stay in 4th and accelerate very very slowly. If ECT is on and working and you do the same the car will drop into 3rd gear and pull away smartly.

Mine gave up working and the throttle pedal went very light... this was because the kickdown cable (the one right at the back) was sticking so there was no slack in it, thus kicking the gearbox down a gear whenever it could. I shoved loads of WD40 down the cable outer and it's been fine ever since.

Sermon over
          [center][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=7][color=magenta][u][b][img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipgrl12.gif[/img][/b][/u][/color][/size] [img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipmn1.gif[/img][/font][/center][center][img]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim_ashton/shyAV5.jpg[/img][/center][center][b][color=#ff00ff][size=7][u]E[/u][/size][u][size=5]ms [/size][size=5]&[/size][size=7] J[/size][size=5]im[/size][/u][/color][/b][/center]

Comment

Originally posted by Ems and Jim
            Hi,

The bleep is a reminder to tell you the car has finished preheating & you've not done anything about it..... if you listen really carefully you hear the glow plug relay 'clunk' just before this happens.... me being lazy I use it as a 'time to start the car' alarm as I'm loading up my sandwiches, fags, stick glasses on face, seatbelt on...beeeeeeeeep....start car !

The ECT is apparently supposed to have a light, on the 2nd gen its to the right of the suspension 'hard' light... right in the corner. Mine doesnt work either and can I be bothered changing the bulb????? If its working you'll notice it most bumbling around at 40mph, if the ECT is off and you 3/4 throttle the car will stay in 4th and accelerate very very slowly. If ECT is on and working and you do the same the car will drop into 3rd gear and pull away smartly.

Mine gave up working and the throttle pedal went very light... this was because the kickdown cable (the one right at the back) was sticking so there was no slack in it, thus kicking the gearbox down a gear whenever it could. I shoved loads of WD40 down the cable outer and it's been fine ever since.

Sermon over
            2ND GEN ECT button is in front of auto gear shift lever
            tony you are right
            Last edited by marky; 5 March 2004, 20:28.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
              2ND GEN ECT light is in front of auto gear shift laver
              Isn't that where the switch is? The light is on the dash.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                Isn't that where the switch is? The light is on the dash.

Tony's right. It's next to the Hard/Norm suspension light and is on the far right hand side at the bottom of the instrument cluster.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                  2ND GEN ECT button is in front of auto gear shift lever
                  tony you are right
                  I know where the button is... covered in fag ash from the poxy ashtry....... the light however is in the furthest corner of the clocks bottom right.... it lights up orange and says ECT Jotto has one, so as Gamedawn.

Memo to self.... add to broken list, ashtray, cupholders, fag lighter, ECT lamp, steering column shroud, propshaft
                  [center][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=7][color=magenta][u][b][img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipgrl12.gif[/img][/b][/u][/color][/size] [img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipmn1.gif[/img][/font][/center][center][img]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim_ashton/shyAV5.jpg[/img][/center][center][b][color=#ff00ff][size=7][u]E[/u][/size][u][size=5]ms [/size][size=5]&[/size][size=7] J[/size][size=5]im[/size][/u][/color][/b][/center]

Comment

it was the located near hard soft switch that sent my brain into a spasm
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                    (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                    X