Fuel pump controll??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel pump controll??

Any ideas? i want to fit an electric fuel pump to supply a small veg oil (swirl tank), im more or less copying the aus guy, he's useing a small tank made of
    110mm soil pipe with a screw cap on top and cap glued on the bottom, he feeds oil to this via an electric fuel pump and controlls it by two reed switches and a corolla break fluid level magnetic float, however he hase'nt gone into detail wireing wise, so!! how can i controll the level? one reed to switch it on and one to switch it off, but as far as i can see as soon as the float rises above the reed switch the pump will stop, from his pic's he's useing a circuit board he's made, but this may be beyond me, any other way of controlling the level, say with relays etc, i'm lost on this,
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

What about a torbeck ballvalve?
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Not sure how it'd stand up to heat Bob, plus i'd like the pump to come on and not switch off till it reaches the top reed valve otherwise it's going to be opperating in short bursts, only as long as the valve would be open, thought maybe it's be possible for the lower reed to activate a relay that dont switch off when that reed breaks contact but does when the float reaches the top reed, the idea is to ease the load on the injector pump, maybe this guy's used a delay componant in the circuit, dont know, thought about emailing him and see if he'd let me have a drawing or description of some sort,
      It's not going to be exactly the same as his as i aint running the return to it, it's just a small readily available warmed supply of veg to help be able to switch over to veg quicker,
      $hite, this is getting long winded

Comment

you can get latching relays, but i think they switch by a pulse.

So you give it a + momentarily and it makes the circuit and the circuit stays 'made' until you give the relay the same momentary + again.

That explanation doesn't even sound good to me, i think it's right if you can understand it but it's 20 past 1 in the morning.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

Think i know what you mean Ian,although if they work on a quick pos pulse they prob wont do as the reed switch will be powered for as long as the float magnet is near it, so it'll be more of a prolonged pos till the float rises and contact is lost, looked at VWP's relays (timed ones,) and no joy, think i'll try emailing this BJ Blaster and see if he's willing to help, although if he comes up with some complicated circuit board set up it'll prob leave me totally bewildered

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE
            Think i know what you mean Ian,although if they work on a quick pos pulse they prob wont do as the reed switch will be powered for as long as the float magnet is near it, so it'll be more of a prolonged pos till the float rises and contact is lost, looked at VWP's relays (timed ones,) and no joy, think i'll try emailing this BJ Blaster and see if he's willing to help, although if he comes up with some complicated circuit board set up it'll prob leave me totally bewildered
            I'm getting the pulse for the relay from the tacho, as the pump only needs to be running when the engine is.
            I have an in-tank fuel pump.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
              I'm getting the pulse for the relay from the tacho, as the pump only needs to be running when the engine is.
              I have an in-tank fuel pump.
              Not sure if that would work in this case Vince, also not sure how an electric pump opperates come to that, dont think i ever had a car with electric fuel pump, does it pump continuiously? or only when fuel is required? i mean when the float chamber (petrol) is full (or in this case a swirl tank) or does it keep pumping round the return? i dont know!! doin me head in this bugga,

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE
                Not sure if that would work in this case Vince, also not sure how an electric pump opperates come to that, dont think i ever had a car with electric fuel pump, does it pump continuiously? or only when fuel is required? i mean when the float chamber (petrol) is full (or in this case a swirl tank) or does it keep pumping round the return? i dont know!! doin me head in this bugga,

Ah, I was thinking about petrol injection, ignore what I said earlier!

Comment

Where are all the electronic wizards when ya need em?????
                  i got me reed switches comeing, please dont tell me i've wasted 99p

Comment

me brains not working but there may be something useful in here http://www.the12volt.com/info/diagrams.asp#misc
                    =========
                    =SOLD UP!=
                    =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
                      me brains not working but there may be something useful in here http://www.the12volt.com/info/diagrams.asp#misc
                      Cheers mate! i'll have a good look on there, but with events of today it dont seem quite so important now

Comment

Working...
                      X