Hanging Rev Counter Needle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanging Rev Counter Needle

My wife's batteries were on the way out and sometimes would not start. Whilst trying to jump start it the rev counter reacted by swinging across the dial at great speed and eventually jumped the zero stop This meant that when the engine was off it hung vertically and when the engine was running it swung upwards only to be stopped by the underside of the zero stop pin.

The way I was able to put the needle on the top side of the pin, where it belonged, was as follows:

1) Remove the rubber grommet that is normally removed to re-set the T-Belt light.

2) Get a longish, stiffish but flexible piece of wire (straightened out paper clip) and put a small oval shaped loop in one end. The loop must be small enough to pass through the hole in the dash perspex but large enough to go over the end of the rev counter needle. You can probably guess the rest but...

3) Pass the loop end of the wire through the perspex hole and manouvre until you can pass the end of the needle into the loop.

4) Slowly push the needle up until it touches the underside of the stop pin.

5) Using a 'twist and push' motion, manouvre the needle passed the pin.

6) Release the wire loop from the end of the needle and extract it. Re-fit rubber bung into perspex hole. JOB DONE

The trick is to get a stiffish piece of wire, of the correct length, that still can be curved readily.

Hope this helps
    Brian

That will certainly save a lot of time from pulling the clocks out and doing it.Did you get the other probs sorted yet Brian?
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by Panrixx
      My wife's batteries were on the way out and sometimes would not start.

Hope this helps
      Im intrigued by the concept of a battery operated wife, The one that I currently have is fuelled on chocolate and expensive prawn and seafood dishes. Do you think you could post more details ??

Bogus
      Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce
        That will certainly save a lot of time from pulling the clocks out and doing it.Did you get the other probs sorted yet Brian?
        Karen's Surf batteries were tested and pronounced 'dead'. Hers were only 400 CCA ones.

Mine were tested and pronounced 'alive but not great'. My batteries were 550 CCA.

As winter is approaching we decided to bite the bullet and get FOUR new ones.

Plymouth Battery Centre quoted £49+vat, each, for some good quality 720 CCA batteries. So we are now £230 poorer but both Surfs really spin on cold start ups
        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus
          Im intrigued by the concept of a battery operated wife, The one that I currently have is fuelled on chocolate and expensive prawn and seafood dishes. Do you think you could post more details ??

Bogus
          Battery operated wives are better. You can always disconnect them when deemed necessary
          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Panrixx
            Karen's Surf batteries were tested and pronounced 'dead'. Hers were only 400 CCA ones.

Mine were tested and pronounced 'alive but not great'. My batteries were 550 CCA.

As winter is approaching we decided to bite the bullet and get FOUR new ones.

Plymouth Battery Centre quoted £49+vat, each, for some good quality 720 CCA batteries. So we are now £230 poorer but both Surfs really spin on cold start ups

Those guys in plymouth battery centre are scary, I took my brother in to get a new battery for his 306 and happened to say i wondered how much a new battery for my truck would be. The chap serving asked what i had and knew his cars and trucks well and told me what battery i would need and the price, plucked right out of his head! very impressive. Been there before to get an uprated battery for my bike and they were very helpfull then too!
            it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by drunkmonkeyboy
              Those guys in plymouth battery centre are scary, I took my brother in to get a new battery for his 306 and happened to say i wondered how much a new battery for my truck would be. The chap serving asked what i had and knew his cars and trucks well and told me what battery i would need and the price, plucked right out of his head! very impressive. Been there before to get an uprated battery for my bike and they were very helpfull then too!
              Hi Michael,

How did Kathy, Travis and Kaitlin like the RTTS?
              Brian

Comment

Working...
              X