yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Both headlamps blow on the same night? Nah ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Both headlamps blow on the same night? Nah ...

Riddle me this one batman ...

Had my 2nd Gen KZN130 for 3 years now, never a problem with lights.

Then I am driving back in pouring rain during the hols and both headlamps go.

I mean I had sidelights and Full Beam ... but dipped beam vanished on both headlights.

Didn't spot this till the day I was driving back from hols, about 1000 mls ... and am just now scratching my head ... they are on seperate fuses that I can see, and I just cannot buy 2 fuses going nor 2 bulbs going on the same evening.

Anyone got any ideas on what this is likely to be, or come across this behaviour before?

Could be a fault on the switch, but I would check the bulbs, fuses, connection/plugs and wiring too just to be on the safe side.

I think it'll be a process of elimination......unfortunately .
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Don't take this the wrong way, but it's easy not to notice one headlight gone until the other one goes too.

But then i would guess at damp relays, switch gone, or wiring problems if you've still got main beam but no dipped.
      =========
      =SOLD UP!=
      =========

Comment

It's most likely the high/low beam contacts in the switch that have pitted, a bit like the contacts in older cars distributors.
        Remove the steering column shroud and use some wet or dry paper to clean up the contacts.

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

Process of elimination, yes, you are probably correct.

Will start with the shared switch all the same, sounds easiest to do.

Got two batteries - if I do change bulbs and take out batteries are there any real Toyota gotchas to watch out for?

I mean should I leave one in at a time or just whip em both out?

Comment

give the man a cigar ...

Originally posted by nero279
            Don't take this the wrong way, but it's easy not to notice one headlight gone until the other one goes too.
            Looks as though this must have been the case, changed both bulbs following instructions found elsewhere on this forum - y'know removing one battery etc.

Actually changing bulbs was far easier to do than I imagined - just seems daunting to read about, once you have the socket set out its less than a 20 minute job to do the pair.

I have had cars where you can get to the bulbs easy enough - but could never get them back in properly ... my old Austin Maxi comes to mind.

Took the covers off the steering column and had a bit of a poke around in there all the same.

Thanks all.

Comment

Working...
            X