Different tailgate problem!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different tailgate problem!!!!!!

I've had a good look thru all the threads relating to the tailgate, but none seem to have the same problem as me so here goes..................

The rear window goes up and down fine (especially as it's all just been greased, thanks to another thread) BUT only from the interior switch..
    When i use the key in the tailgate i get absolutely no response in either direction.
    Removed the door card yesterday and had a look, but found nothing wrong!

Having read other threads on the rear door, my first question is...
    Are there seperate UP / DOWN relays (on the soldered PCB) for the switch and the key or should i assume that as the switch works every time that the relay is fine, if so what next????
    Thanks in advance!!!!!
    Alan
    www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

I presume you have checked for broken wires from the key switch ?
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Yes mate!
      Even tried moving the loom around (where it goes from tailgate to body) while trying the key!
      Alan

Comment

Has the window lock button on the drivers door been pressed?

Comment

I dont think so BW, but as the surf is mainly 'ER INDOORS' daily transport, i'll have to check that. Would that make a difference to using the KEY outside??
          Thaks
          Alan

Comment

My t/gate window would not work from key , it was 2 broken wires in the loom between t/gate and body . It is a common fault . There are several relays in the ECU , but mine is in a different place from yours so can not tell you where it is located . Defo check the wires 1st after checking the lock out button as I spent ages trying everything else .
            Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Thanks V2, pretty sure i've checked the wires far enough back, but i'll have another look this afternoon.

Comment

Checked the window lock button and it wasn't on!!

Comment

rear window

i have a similar problem but in reverse the window works ok with the key outside but will not work with the switch inside the car please help.

Comment

Originally posted by thomas
                    i have a similar problem but in reverse the window works ok with the key outside but will not work with the switch inside the car please help.

Has the window lock button on the driver's door been pressed?

Comment

Hello, I have had heaps of problems with my rear window. Since yours works from the inside and not the key switch, I would suggest replaceing the switch. It is attached to the back of the barrel that your key slides into, just a small plastic thingy and wires that run from it to a connector plug. It pops right off the back of the key barrel very easily. Only thing is you have to remove the interior cover and have the windows up to get at it, unless you chosses to take off the facia from the outside. When mine quit working, although it was apparently bad grounds that affected my whole vehicle, I replaced the motor, the entire relay board and the motor, plus I have bought an extra relay board.

Comment

With the window up, and the card off, i've checked the key switch with a multimeter and it appears to be fine!

Comment

Sorry bout the 2 usernames my first account did not get activated for ages and now since the 2 are so similar I login with the wrong one occasionally. You should be able to get a switch very cheaply, everything in mine tested okay as well, I recokon' you oughta give it a shot, but as well you must use your best judgement, and there is a lot of very experienced people here.
                          Have you taken it off and tried using the switch by itself, while connected to the plug and not connected to the key barrell?
                          Oh Why? Why always Me?

Comment

I'll give that a try when the better half gets back from work today!
                            Thanks
                            Alan

Comment

Ta - Da !!!!!!

Well,THANKS to all you lovely people, I've fixed it!

I checked the key switch while it was off the motor. All ok
                              I then realised (when the traffic outside stopped for a minute!) I could here a relay clicking when i turned the key one way but not the other! so I pulled the loom around again and hey presto the window would go up but not down!

Took the plastic casing off the loom right back about 6" from the door and found the broken wire!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X