Not sure where to post this, but question about Altimeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure where to post this, but question about Altimeter

HI, My newly aquired 2.4 came with an extra pod on top of the passenger side dash, with a incline gauges for front/rear left/right & an Altimeter, with numbers from 900 to 11000 around the outside, including one saying "1013 millibar".

Question is, do I set it up by just setting the dial pointer to current altitude, or is it more complicated than that?

Cheers,

Steve.

Originally posted by minibigs
    HI, My newly aquired 2.4 came with an extra pod on top of the passenger side dash, with a incline gauges for front/rear left/right & an Altimeter, with numbers from 900 to 11000 around the outside, including one saying "1013 millibar".

Question is, do I set it up by just setting the dial pointer to current altitude, or is it more complicated than that?

Cheers,

Steve.
    My altimeter never moves and we have some BIG hills in NZ, would love to know how to set it up as well........
    Life is not a dress rehearsal
    1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed
    (Auto's are for the indecisive!!)

Comment

Originally posted by minibigs

Cheers,

Steve.
      I would imagine yes, as it measures altitude, set it at your current altitude then it should read the altitude where ever you go.
      Never bothered setting mine.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

Mine does work, sort of, but its as much use in Essex as a chocolate fireguard!
        Its seems to move more with a change in the weather than a change in altitude (GREAT BIG CLUE THERE - atmospheric pressure )
        When I first got my motor all the guages were locked, once unlocked they all work but to set your altitude gauge accurately you would need to find your height above sea level using an OS map or something, plus you will need to set it daily as changes in ATP vary constantly.
        Like I said, its a pretty chocolate kettle or whatever
        ...Woodie http://woodie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/D...%20Surfsml.JPG

Comment

OK, think I will set it roughly for something to do then leave it. Tilt jobbies work OK & seem pretty useful to me.

Cheers,

Steve.

Comment

Altimeter

Hi Steve,
            As Kieth noted these gauges usually have a lock which you must first release. Am not quite sure where it is cuz it depends on the model. Then ideally they should be set to zero when your vehicles is as close to sea level as possible. As has been noted also, bear in mind that these gauges are based on barometric pressures and are therfore affected by changes in atmospheric conditions. Thus they may register erroneous readings sometimes.
            Cheers!
            butch
            1992 SSR-X 2.4TD
            2L-TE, A/T
            LSD rear
            31"x10.5" on std rims

Comment

Working...
            X