What the hell is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the hell is this?

Whilst troubleshooting my turbo I came across an electrical thingy mounted just in front of the rad below and to the left of the A/C condensor. It's grey in colour about 50mmx10mmx10mm with a spade connector at each end and a wire attached to each connector which feed into the loom. What is it? Anyone know? I ask as both the spade connectors on mine have rotted through and hence not connected and I wonder if it has anything to do with other problems I have with my surf???

Cheers
    Pete
    Life is not a dress rehearsal
    1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed
    (Auto's are for the indecisive!!)

Need pictures!!!
    If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Originally posted by rich
      Need pictures!!!
      On their way, jus lemme get that damned grill off!!
      1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

ere's the pic you aksed for

The a/c radiator(front mounted) is at the top of the pic and thats the condensor inlet/outlet on the right handside, you can clearly see where the terminals have snapped off on the thingy which is immiediately to the right of the condensor!

Cheers
        Pete
        Attached Files
        1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

thingy

Originally posted by Pete The Tart
          The a/c radiator(front mounted) is at the top of the pic and thats the condensor inlet/outlet on the right handside, you can clearly see where the terminals have snapped off on the thingy which is immiediately to the right of the condensor!

Cheers
          Pete
          Hi l have only found these on the 3.0litre T/D up to now and they seem to let the electric fan turn slowly for some reason. Thats all l know .
          Live Life To The Full

Comment

Originally posted by Hilux
            Hi l have only found these on the 3.0litre T/D up to now and they seem to let the electric fan turn slowly for some reason. Thats all l know .
            Hi Bob

If this slows the operation of the fan then it would be a Resistor.Will have to see if my 2.4 has one.

Neville

Comment

my 1990 2.4 td has the very same thing, complete with broken terminals, i never have found out what its for but would like to know.

baz

Comment

I'll have a look at mine tomorrow because my electric fan has never kicked in even while offroading in a heatwave.
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Pete The Tart

Cheers
                  Pete
                  that could have been for the fog or spot lights, are there any fitted or have there been
                  [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
                  [size=5][/size]
                  [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
                    that could have been for the fog or spot lights, are there any fitted or have there been
                    Yep that was going to be my answer. I dont think Mr Toyota would put anything electrical in the full flow of water. check to see if the two wires go into the loom or they have been taped neatly to the out side for rigidity. Cant see the reason for putting some thing like that so far forward.

Geoff.
                    Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

it is a resistor that feeds the fan which runs at a slow speed when the temp gets high and when you switch your a/c on a feed by passes the resistor and the fan spins at full speed hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by cmr356
                        it is a resistor that feeds the fan which runs at a slow speed when the temp gets high and when you switch your a/c on a feed by passes the resistor and the fan spins at full speed hope that helps
                        Yeah , that makes sense . The reason for mounting on the rad is possibly using the rad as a heatsink as resistors get very hot . Hotter then the rad .
                        Some cars have these resistors as 'dim dip' units when you turn your ignition off with the headlamps still turned on it dips your headlamps down to a dim level .
                        Rick
                        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Before the Surf I had a swb Landcruiser with a similar resistor for the dim-dip headlamps that come on with the side-lights when the engine is running.Its fitted up front for the cooling needed because it gets very hot very quick.Most of the Fords had them from the mid eighties and they used to rot the terminals just like whats happened to yours.
                          Don`t get mad,get even !

Comment

Cheers for the answers chaps, I can sleep at night now!!
                            1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

uh oh

i own a 2.4 td mine also has this broken thing infront of the radiaitor so come on guys wtf is it somebody must know...ive been told it may step down the voltage of something a resistor of some kind? who know's what it really is please let us all know

Comment

Working...
                              X