CB Power supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CB Power supply

I've finally splashed out & got myself a CB. Looking to install it this weekend but i am in two minds about the power supply.
    I was wondering how other people have wired theirs in. At the moment I'm toyed between;

1, new fused line direct from the battery

2, splicing into the permanent live for the stereo

3, splicing into the ignition live to the stereo or lighter

Hedging towards the 3rd choice as it will not drain the battery if accidently left on, but would like peoples comments or recommendations.

Cheers,
    Martin
    Which Wychwood would you choose?

Originally posted by hobgoblin
    I've finally splashed out & got myself a CB. Looking to install it this weekend but i am in two minds about the power supply.
    I was wondering how other people have wired theirs in. At the moment I'm toyed between;

1, new fused line direct from the battery

2, splicing into the permanent live for the stereo

3, splicing into the ignition live to the stereo or lighter

Hedging towards the 3rd choice as it will not drain the battery if accidently left on, but would like peoples comments or recommendations.

Cheers,
    Martin

I would go for a permanent live connection, no need to fumble for keys in an emergency.

Comment

Funny that you mention this....

JUST this monday gone, I did just that... installed a GME TX3200 UHF CB... removed the ashtray as I have no need for it and placed the CB there...

as for wiring, I went straight to the battery on the drivers side.. there was a nice little grommet hole where I could pass the wires and antenna lead through above the pedals (next to the brake booster)...

see my attached pic for CB placement...
      1993 HiLux Surf (mine)
      1998 RAV4 (hers)

Comment

dont go splicing in to the stereo live fo r2 reasons first if you have the cb on with the stereo in teh back ground it is likly to rouse interference with the stereo also the stereo permanent live is only a small wire designed to feed a low current to the stereos memory the ignition live to the stereo is a slightly better bet but still would stand a chance of interference and again may pop the fuse as a cb draws more than a stereo when you key the mic and last thing you want if your in trouble is to find keys fire up and then blow a fuse as it will rip an older and weaker fuse go for a fresh fused line off the battery and all will be good
        !!!My Rice Krispies told me to do it!!!

Comment

yep ! thats what i did, strait to the batt,, with inline fuse, u will only leave it on once caz some one will nick it.

Comment

i got mine spliced into the man feed to the stereo, and i dont get any feed back through the stereo, it is also on when i need it as it is not on the ignition feed to my stereo... i also have left it on all night and the truck started fine every time...
            all a personal preference really as to the amount of time you want to spend wiring it in...

Comment

cheers lads, going to have a look to see if i can take it straight from the battery. a bit concerned that there may already be some leads from there. if so going to splice into stereo supply.

cheers for the help. will post some pictures when its in.
              Which Wychwood would you choose?

Comment

Working...
              X