Stereo Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereo Swap

I swapped out the Japanese unit which came with my car, and installed my Alpine unit which goes with me from car to car.

It all works fine (thank God for the 'How To' guide elsewhere on the site), except that the unit doesn't retain any information in memory once I switch the ignition off. I have to reset radio stations, fader/ balance preferences, etc each time I start up.

Is this something to do with the wiring in the car, the duel batteries, or am I just a numpty?

did you put a wiring harness adaptor in mate? think the permanant live and ignition live need swapping over
    TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Originally posted by andrewlee31
      did you put a wiring harness adaptor in mate? think the permanant live and ignition live need swapping over
      I concur. Had same problem with Vicki's VW. Apparently VW colour code permanent and switched +12v the opposite way round to everyone else!
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Thank you for the feedback Gents, that sounds very promising. I did use a wiring harness adaptor (I think it was an 'all Toyota's' one from Halfords).

Would the stereo unit still work with the two live leads in the wrong position?

I'll have a play over the weekend and report back.

Comment

Yes the stereo unit will work with the lives in the wrong way around just wont retain any settings as the permenent live wich is liek a battory back up on an alarm clock is getting switched off every time you turn the inition off but the stereo wont come on with the ignition off as it needs both lives to operate they should be red and yellow on the ISO harness you brought from halfords and they should also have a bullet connector n each for this very reason so just pop the stereo out and swap the 2 bullet conectors over you may be able to access the wires depending on length by just taking teh small plastic cover off on the floor of the car between the pasenger and drver foot well just 2 screws
          !!!My Rice Krispies told me to do it!!!

Comment

Working...
          X