Wiring a light bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring a light bar

I'm part way through my light bar (Thule roof bar with a bunch of lights bolted on), and I was wondering if I can simplify the wiring a bit.

I have attached 4x 55w spots. They came as two sets of two spots, but I was hoping to wire them as 1 set of 4 - i.e. one power and one earth cable to supply the lot, running though 1 relay. The cable I have should be up to the job (I think it was 30amp cable from Maplin, and I calculate the spots to be around 18amp). I haven't checked the specs on the relay yet.

I was also hoping to use the (now redundant) switch from the adjustable suspension to switch them on/off. Any problems there? Should I remove the wiring that goes to each corner, or can I just cut into the cables with some of those cable splice crimp things?
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

I used my redundant hard/soft switch to switch some rear facing spots on mine. i just taped up three of the unused shocker plugs (both rear ones and one front) and used the forth to switch a relay. - best bit is - the warning lamp in your dash to tell you your lights are on - only it says "hard" rather than "roof bar lights"!!
    cant see a problem with the 1 wire - 4 lights as long as the cable / relay is up to the task, and you make good solid connections (ie solder)
    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

hey there

i got 6x55 on the roof of mine and the wiring was a little like....

battery to fuse to relay, earth the realy, take a feed from the main beam to use as a switching current.

all the lights are in sereis which is best, run 1 cable up to the last light and then join the lights on to this using extra wire, i cut into it ad used 3 way spade connectors.... if you wire light to light e.g. cable in 1 out that into to 2 then 3 etc etc then it loses power and brightness...

the earth for the lights is a single cable from the chassis or similar up to the bar and joined to each light as the power.

hope this helps if not i can help if you are close enough (didnt look before replying!!)

ttfn

graham

Comment

just seen you aren't too close to me but if you are down this way any time i can assist?!??!

Comment

Originally posted by graham78
          all the lights are in sereis which is best, run 1 cable up to the last light and then join the lights on to this using extra wire, i cut into it ad used 3 way spade connectors.... if you wire light to light e.g. cable in 1 out that into to 2 then 3 etc etc then it loses power and brightness...
          Surely you mean they are all in parallel. In series is as you described, into 1, out and into the next and so-on.

Wasn't planning a jaunt down to Salisbury just now, but thanks for the offer.
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie
            Surely you mean they are all in parallel. In series is as you described, into 1, out and into the next and so-on.

Wasn't planning a jaunt down to Salisbury just now, but thanks for the offer.
            Hi thats how mine are but l have run the earth up one side of the windsreen and the power down the other to a relay and into the hard/soft suspenion switch . THATS were you got the idea from
            Live Life To The Full

Comment

Originally posted by Hilux
              Hi thats how mine are but l have run the earth up one side of the windsreen and the power down the other to a relay and into the hard/soft suspenion switch . THATS were you got the idea from
              Nah, I've never seen how yours are wired up, so it must just be a case of great minds thinking alike.
              Paul </Slugsie>
              Immortal.so far!

Comment

Nah, I've never seen how yours are wired up, so it must just be a case of great minds thinking alike.
                Paul </Slugsie>
                Immortal.so far!

Comment

Thats how I did mine. 6 x 55w, no problemo.

Check out :-

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=30226

I used a Thule bar too.
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Oooh, 6 lights does look good, but I only have 4, and they're ickle ones. I'm also using an old style Thule bar, it was free so I'm quite happy.

Anyway, finished making up the bar, but the light (hehe) went so I didn't have a chance to wire it in. I did however quickly connect it up to a 12v source to check they worked.
                    Paul </Slugsie>
                    Immortal.so far!

Comment

Lookin good! I think Bushwhacker has similar roof lights but oval ones.

My Thule bar is off a Proton! Seems to fit bang on though!

Comment

Roof Lights

Hi Paul do these LOOK familier. Langdale last year.
                        Live Life To The Full

Comment

In the spirit of uploading pictures of one's light bar, here's mine.

How's Scouse land Bob? Was up there last weekend (Huyton and Anfield) visiting the family...

Comment

Hi Paul do these LOOK familier. Langdale last year.
                            Hmm, nah, never seen them in my life.
                            Paul </Slugsie>
                            Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie
                              I'm part way through my light bar (Thule roof bar with a bunch of lights bolted on), and I was wondering if I can simplify the wiring a bit.

I have attached 4x 55w spots. They came as two sets of two spots, but I was hoping to wire them as 1 set of 4 - i.e. one power and one earth cable to supply the lot, running though 1 relay. The cable I have should be up to the job (I think it was 30amp cable from Maplin, and I calculate the spots to be around 18amp). I haven't checked the specs on the relay yet.

I was also hoping to use the (now redundant) switch from the adjustable suspension to switch them on/off. Any problems there? Should I remove the wiring that goes to each corner, or can I just cut into the cables with some of those cable splice crimp things?
                              I did exactly the same except my spots were all 12v 100w (allegidly officer..... honest )

I used cable and connectors from Vehicle Wiring prioducts I used something like 45 amp thinwall charging cable, ran them up the centre pillar and drilled a hole at the top of the pillar then fed the cables through the gap at the top of the door. I'd seen this done before and it lessons the risk of water getting in, of course it increases the risk of a chaffed wire the cable I ran down the side of the sill and into the relay in the engine bay, then fed the trigger wire from the cabin to it. I also took a feed from the main beam

I used a separate switch as my hard/soft shocks are still on, but there should be no problem if you wire the lamps through a relay
                              Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Working...
                              X