yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turbo Lights, been done to death but not answered!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Lights, been done to death but not answered!!

Yup, I know theres been lots of postings on this butI still need an answer

WHen I turn the ignition on ('89 2.4TD)whithout cranking the motor the green turbo led self tests and then goes out BUT it doesn't illuminate when the turbo kicks in(which I can hear) Does anybody know what I need to check? I've seen some posts mention that this led completes a circuit which sends a message to ECU to adjust mixture appropriately, is this so or can I just ignore the fact that me lil green light dont come on?

Cheers
    Pete
    Life is not a dress rehearsal
    1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed
    (Auto's are for the indecisive!!)

Originally posted by Pete The Tart
    Yup, I know theres been lots of postings on this butI still need an answer

WHen I turn the ignition on ('89 2.4TD)whithout cranking the motor the green turbo led self tests and then goes out BUT it doesn't illuminate when the turbo kicks in(which I can hear) Does anybody know what I need to check? I've seen some posts mention that this led completes a circuit which sends a message to ECU to adjust mixture appropriately, is this so or can I just ignore the fact that me lil green light dont come on?

Cheers
    Pete
    Pete.

Does it not come on at all or only when you rev the engine when stationary. Mine works fine when I am driving and comes on somewhere between 1600 and 200 rpm depending on the load. If I rev the engine while stationary the Turbo light doesn't cut in so I presume that because the engine isn't under load - i.e. it isn't moving the truck, then the pressure doesn't increase and although the Turbo has spun up, it isn't doing enough to cuase the pressure to rise and light the lamp.

Cheers

Comment

The green led only ever comes on when it self tests, afetr that it NEVER comes on regardless of whether I'm stationery or blasting down the road.

Cheers
      Pete
      1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
        Pete.

Does it not come on at all or only when you rev the engine when stationary. Mine works fine when I am driving and comes on somewhere between 1600 and 200 rpm depending on the load. If I rev the engine while stationary the Turbo light doesn't cut in so I presume that because the engine isn't under load - i.e. it isn't moving the truck, then the pressure doesn't increase and although the Turbo has spun up, it isn't doing enough to cuase the pressure to rise and light the lamp.

Cheers
        Found the problem, hole in vacuum pipe between pressure sensor and the carb, just waiting for my inlet manifold to come back from the hot tank(It had so much crap in it I considered using it as a planter in the garden!) and along with my newly rebuilt turbo it should be time for yeeehaaaa!
        1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

All this chat about turbo lights is making me nervous, I've got a 94/95 ssr-x 3lt td auto and Iv'e never seen the tubo light, why not ??? please advise

Comment

Originally posted by pks
            All this chat about turbo lights is making me nervous, I've got a 94/95 ssr-x 3lt td auto and Iv'e never seen the tubo light, why not ??? please advise
            i dont think the 3.0 has a light
            [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
            [size=5][/size]
            [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Mine is a 2.4Td SSR-X and my turbo light is on 50% of the time.. Maybe my right foot is too heavy
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

turbo light

my 2.4tdssr-x has a similar thing,ihad no light at all till it went over 4000rpm,after a few head problems and a new turbo fitted my light works properly.wen i start her up theres a self test then wen it hits 2000rpm she lights up then its serious yyyyyyeeeeeeehhhhhhhhaaaaa time.
                1993 2.4 td ssr-x

Comment

Quick question

I am always concerned when I read these threads on turbo's!!

My turbo light comes on at around 2000 revs, it whistles a lot, and it sounds like there should be some sort of 'kick' in forward momentum...but there isn't.

The truck always seems like it is working its nuts off but there doesn't seem to be much 'torque'. It goes like the wind on a dead flat of downhill, but the slightest uphill gradient and it all goes flat.

I am trying to figure out what the problem could be. I am finally fitting the new fuel filter tomorrow, and a mechanic who runs an off road Hilux is giving it the once over.

As a guide its doing about 60mph with o/d off and 70 with it on, and on a long downhill stretch it might wind itself up to 80mph, but that's it. Top speed is immaterial to me, but the lack of progress up hills and being overtaken by everything else is. If I put the o/d on before I have wound it up to 60mph uphill then we are talking 40mph...aaarghhh!!

I would dearly love to find the source of this problem??

Cheers

Rob G

PS - Coolant is fine, stayed full for 2 months/3000kms of town/touring miles

Comment

my 2.4 gets to around 80 with o/d off hills do slow me down a bit but not much as the kickdown comes in and changes down a gear
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by wibblywobbly
                      I am always concerned when I read these threads on turbo's!!

My turbo light comes on at around 2000 revs, it whistles a lot, and it sounds like there should be some sort of 'kick' in forward momentum...but there isn't.

The truck always seems like it is working its nuts off but there doesn't seem to be much 'torque'. It goes like the wind on a dead flat of downhill, but the slightest uphill gradient and it all goes flat.

I am trying to figure out what the problem could be. I am finally fitting the new fuel filter tomorrow, and a mechanic who runs an off road Hilux is giving it the once over.

I would dearly love to find the source of this problem??
                      Check for cracks/leaks between the turbo and the inlet manifold, oneof mine had a split so all my boost pressure was going straight into the engine bay!! Fixed it and the change was remarkable.
                      1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

help

hey pete is there any chance you can direct me to the hose you found the hole in as my 2.4 also shows the light for the test but not when you drive grrr please help me dude ta

Comment

Originally posted by wibblywobbly
                          it whistles a lot, and it sounds like there should be some sort of 'kick' in forward momentum...but there isn't.

As a guide its doing about 60mph with o/d off and 70 with it on, and on a long downhill stretch it might wind itself up to 80mph, but that's it. Top speed is immaterial to me, but the lack of progress up hills and being overtaken by everything else is. If I put the o/d on before I have wound it up to 60mph uphill then we are talking 40mph...aaarghhh!!
                          Any news on this?

My turbo light comes on when I start the ignition but I've never seen it illuminate whilst driving. I can hear the turbo kick in when I accelerate, but the light does not come on.

I'd be most interested to find out what the problem was...

Comment

Originally posted by MadcapMagician
                            Any news on this?

My turbo light comes on when I start the ignition but I've never seen it illuminate whilst driving. I can hear the turbo kick in when I accelerate, but the light does not come on.

I'd be most interested to find out what the problem was...

On top of the aircleaner box there is a metal elbow, there should be a sensor inserted into the rubber grommet, also, between the aircleaner box and the power steering fluid reservior there is a turbo pressure sensor with small rubber hoses connected to it, check that the hoses are secure.

Comment

Confirmation that the 3.0 doesn't have a turbo light, only the engine warning
                              Gaz

Comment

Working...
                              X