Rev lights feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rev lights feed

Anyone know if i can pick a feed from the reversing lights near the front or in the cab, ie:- do they opperate from a switch on the shifter or the gearbox?
    reason for this is i'm fitting two of those 3 1/2" spotties to the rear spoiler and want switch em to either comeing on with the rev lights and be able to
    switch over so they come on with ign off (live feed) and of course off altogether position, i know i can get a feed from the back end and if this proves easier then i'll do that, it may involve two switches as i need two seperate feeds (to a relay) one from the rev lights and a batt live,
    i have got a bank of rockers in the overhead console and if memory serves they have 6 pins, got to do some testing with those, if they prove to be two circuits in one switch then they'll be ideal and i can use one switch to do the job, sort of - centre pos - off, left - rev light feed, right - live feed,
    Cheers

I'm posting in the right shop you'll notice
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Originally posted by ian619
    Anyone know if i can pick a feed from the reversing lights near the front or in the cab, ie:- do they opperate from a switch on the shifter or the gearbox?
    reason for this is i'm fitting two of those 3 1/2" spotties to the rear spoiler and want switch em to either comeing on with the rev lights and be able to
    switch over so they come on with ign off (live feed) and of course off altogether position, i know i can get a feed from the back end and if this proves easier then i'll do that, it may involve two switches as i need two seperate feeds (to a relay) one from the rev lights and a batt live,
    i have got a bank of rockers in the overhead console and if memory serves they have 6 pins, got to do some testing with those, if they prove to be two circuits in one switch then they'll be ideal and i can use one switch to do the job, sort of - centre pos - off, left - rev light feed, right - live feed,
    Cheers

I'm posting in the right shop you'll notice
    I don't know, in fact I didn't even look, I just ran a feed from the rear up. But that did require alot of plastic being removed.
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Is there a switch for reverse on the gear lever assembly?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
        Is there a switch for reverse on the gear lever assembly?
        Dunno thats why i asked
        just thought maybe someone had had dealings with it and knew where it was however its no big problem, i can get it from the back, might be a good thing as the fog light wire was put in with no protective sheath along its run through the chassi so i might encompas (? ) to two in some split convaluted tube,
        Anyway the question now is what type of switch do i need? (proper name) memory did'nt serve, just been out and the rockers i got are just straight on/off (for some reason i thought they were three way) So is wot i want a
        "double pole three way rocker switch" meaning i can wire two different supplys to the two centre pins and feed both load sides to the spots? (via a relay)
        hope this makes sense

like this
        Last edited by POPEYE; 26 February 2007, 22:47.

Comment

According to the wiring diagrams i have here, you should have a Blue+Orange wire coming from the fuse box, reverse lights are on the same fuse as gauges. It split's off somewhere between the fusebox and gauges then has a green feed to the reverse lamp switch on an auto, the lamp side of the switch is a red+white feed back into the loom somewhere, i think under the passenger seat, then a red+blue feed to the reverse lights. Only thing is my wiring diagram got the model/year bit chopped off but i'm pretty sure it's 2nd gen.

May be of some use, i dunno, i'll be playing with wiring again tomorrow in the truck so if i find anything that may be of interest i'll let you know.
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
            According to the wiring diagrams i have here, you should have a Blue+Orange wire coming from the fuse box, reverse lights are on the same fuse as gauges. It split's off somewhere between the fusebox and gauges then has a green feed to the reverse lamp switch on an auto, the lamp side of the switch is a red+white feed back into the loom somewhere, i think under the passenger seat, then a red+blue feed to the reverse lights. Only thing is my wiring diagram got the model/year bit chopped off but i'm pretty sure it's 2nd gen.

May be of some use, i dunno, i'll be playing with wiring again tomorrow in the truck so if i find anything that may be of interest i'll let you know.
            Thanks Ian, apprecieate that! by the sound of it it will be easier to pick up a feed from the rear,
            Question of the switch still stands though, is their a switch that works like that?

Comment

Double pole double throw centre off. Centre two pins are connected to your feeds, and when you throw the switch either way, the centres connect to your outer pins. Left and right sides of the switch are isolated from each other, so it is two separate switches electrically, but both switches connected mechanically via the rocker.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                Double pole double throw centre off. Centre two pins are connected to your feeds, and when you throw the switch either way, the centres connect to your outer pins. Left and right sides of the switch are isolated from each other, so it is two separate switches electrically, but both switches connected mechanically via the rocker.
                Cheers Matt, your a star!! now i know they exist and what to ask for, i'll have a butchers in VWP catalouge

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
                  Cheers Matt, your a star!! now i know they exist and what to ask for, i'll have a butchers in VWP catalouge
                  Just a thought, the switch you are descirbing sounds the same as the one on the interior light that has 'door, off, on' on it. I presume that's not the right rating or something...

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                    Just a thought, the switch you are descirbing sounds the same as the one on the interior light that has 'door, off, on' on it. I presume that's not the right rating or something...
                    If he's using the switch to control relays, just about every switch is beefy enough.

Comment

Found a suitable switch in my odds and sods drawer, just tested it useing two gell-cell batterys and a test light and it works as i need it to, like the drawing above, now i'm scratching my head as to weather or not i'll need two relays to work this,
                      Got me roof light relays wired in and guess what! they (VWP) sent me a duff one, luckily i ordered 4 and had a spare one, changed em over and the roof light's work OK, hardly worth moaning to em about it as their only £1.80 summat, but sodding annoying if i'm gonna need two for these rear lights, i'll have to order another one

Comment

Working...
                      X