those darn rear speakers....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• those darn rear speakers....

I know theres loads of threads about rigging up stereo systems with custom built rear cabinet speakers, high output head units and hiden CD changers, but Ive always thought that if you want make your ears bleed then you can always go to a nightclub. So for anyone who, like me, just wants a halfway decent sound system, heres a quick fix.
    the only thing wrong with my surf when I test drove it was that the stereo didnt work. At all. The dealer assured me that he would get it fixed,but when i went to pick it up only the front speakers were working. He had even changed the radio cassette for a cd player (bonus!!) as he thought that was the problem. As it turned out, he had to run new wires direct from the front speakes as his "electrcian" couldnt trace the wires from the original multiplugs behind the unit and was convinced the rear speakers were broken. After a bit of cash negotiation for being let down, off i went with a rather tinny sounding CD player. It wasnt long before the front speakers started to break down and crackle, so rather than go back I decided to have a look myself. What a mess! All the original multiplugs from the Toyota unit were in place, but wires had been cut out, stripped, taped up etc, presumably when the dealer had tried to find the feeds for the back speakers.
    The CD player was a bog standard Kenwood with two front and two rear outputs, two wires for each. So, I whipped out the dash and I removed those little plastic front speaker boxes and screwed in their place a pair of 41/2" front door speakers from a stripped sierra. The mounting holes lined up great with the lugs on the rear of the dash behind the grills. When I got into the rear speakers i could see that there was a multiplug with 5 or 6 wires that fed the built in amps, and I had no idea how to drive them from a simple 2 wire speaker feed. SO I DIDNT! With the aid of an ohmeter and a bit of wire to extent the probes, I traced two random wires from the speaker feed plug to the miltiplug at the stereo end. I then snipped the 2 corresponding wires that went down to the amp, snipped the two wires attached to the speaker, and spliced them together. Once it was plugged back in, I then had a direct feed to the speaker, bypassing the built in amp. The other end of the wires were then spliced into the rear output from the stereo and ,hey presto, working rear speakers and a fully functioning balance/fade function. It sounds absolutely fine, and all four speakers can handle plenty of bass and volume with no distortion. So if theres anyone out there who wants a simple fix for the rear speakers from a standard stereo unit, I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Billy-No-Money; 12 February 2007, 04:03.
    My karma ran over my dogma ..
    Paul

Hi Paul, this sounds very similar to what i did, Jap ICE wireing is a nightmare, i had the same problems with another jap car, i originally replaced the fronts with new'ish larger speakers but they drummed through the dash something wicked so i've now got em on the door cards, replaced the rears with 9" ones and all seems to work OK, not the ear spliting sound some guys like but it does me,
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

so on that note can i ask a question. I replaced my head unit with a sony cd (out of my last car) which worked ok for a while then the front speakers went out with a pop and smoke . since then the rears arer very hit of miss if they work. I had a feeling that it was down to the rear amps failing as the headunit was working fine. but cos i am being lazy and whenever i feel like getting in to look at it, it seems to work again and i dont bother. So my question is cos it wsa all fine before the front poped does the system have some wierd feedback system so that when the fronts go it messes with the rest?? and if i replace the fronts will it all work again or shall i say fu*k it and replace them all and forget the built in amps? Not worryed about doing the work as i have fitted some big ice systems (for mates i hate the stupid bass sound you can hear from about a mile away) i do like quality music that can go load and still handle it!

Any surgestions before i have to strip out the inside of my truck!
      it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by drunkmonkeyboy
        so on that note can i ask a question. I replaced my head unit with a sony cd (out of my last car) which worked ok for a while then the front speakers went out with a pop and smoke . since then the rears arer very hit of miss if they work. I had a feeling that it was down to the rear amps failing as the headunit was working fine. but cos i am being lazy and whenever i feel like getting in to look at it, it seems to work again and i dont bother. So my question is cos it wsa all fine before the front poped does the system have some wierd feedback system so that when the fronts go it messes with the rest?? and if i replace the fronts will it all work again or shall i say fu*k it and replace them all and forget the built in amps? Not worryed about doing the work as i have fitted some big ice systems (for mates i hate the stupid bass sound you can hear from about a mile away) i do like quality music that can go load and still handle it!

Any surgestions before i have to strip out the inside of my truck!
        To be honest Im no expert on these matters. The original front speakers that I took out were tiny little things, didnt look like they would ever of handled much but as to yours failing due to the rear amps not working I really coulnd say. All I can tell you is that the O/E rear speakers, once the built in amp is bypassed, seem ok. I dont have the stereo overly loud (always listenin for strange engine noises lol) but i have the bass a fair way up and run the fader with the bias towards the back and the sound quality is ace. I suppose bigger better rears will give bigger better sound, but if your not interested in blowing your eardrums out and dont want to lift trims and carpets to run new feed in for new speakers, the O/E's work perfectly well with the amps bypassed.
        My karma ran over my dogma ..
        Paul

Comment

thanks for the reply. i ment the front speaker blowing overloaded the rears. I think i know what you mean will have to get the dash off and take a look. i know what you mean with listening out for engine noises as i do the same!
          it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by drunkmonkeyboy
            thanks for the reply. i ment the front speaker blowing overloaded the rears. I think i know what you mean will have to get the dash off and take a look. i know what you mean with listening out for engine noises as i do the same!
            http://outgoing.bauchan.org/toyota_s...g_diagrams.pdf

Comment

Working...
            X