Splicing into power for a CB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splicing into power for a CB

Been hammering the search facilities and so am fairly confident on most aspects of slotting the CB in. Just a couple of questions left.....

I was planning to splice into the ciggie lighter for power for the rig. Thing is I don't know how to do it? What tools and bits etc? What's the polarity of the lighter? Is it easy and will the ciggie thing still work for mobile phones etc?

Also if I sort out the SWR and tune the aerial, if I then remove the aerial to go into a low carpark or something will I have to tune it again when I replace it? I was hoping not as the rig will be a din slot so getting tot eh point of connecting an swr meter would mean stripping the dash again!

If you've any other tips and DON'Ts for a first timer installing a CB please share now before I knacker it!!!!!

Ta,
    Dave

Splice into the wire that comes out of the rear of the cigar lighter, this is the 'live' wire, use one of these to hold a 7.5 amp fuse.
    http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.c...otos/fh430.jpg

Thinking back to the early eighties, when I last had a CB (Midland AM) once the antenna has been SWR'd you can remove it and put it back and it'll still be 'tuned' in.

Comment

mines spliced into the fag lighter as well, and not come across any car parks yet where i need to take my aerial off mate. just use it to announce your arrival.

mine makes a hell of a row in the local multi story
      TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

SWR'ing the aerial is merely adjusting it's length, so unless you also happen to lengthen or shorten it whilst you have it off the vehicle, it shouldn't alter. If you get a proper metal whip instead of the fibreglass ones, though, you can merrily just leave it on and smack it along any overhead objects without damaging it.
        Last edited by MattF; 2 February 2007, 02:53.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
          SWR'ing the aerial is merely adjusting it's length, so unless you also happen to lengthen or shorten it whilst you have it off the vehicle, it shouldn't alter. If you get a proper metal whip instead of the firbreglass ones, though, you can merrily just leave it on and smack it along any overhead objects without damaging it.
          <pictures sliced fluorescent tubes in Matt's local multi story>
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
            <pictures sliced fluorescent tubes in Matt's local multi story>

Comment

Working...
            X