Convert indicators to Side Markers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert indicators to Side Markers

Anyone know how to convert front indicators to be used as side markers lights as well as indicators? Like some american cars.

Or is it just a job of fitting a new lamp holder for the side lights?
    I NEED TO OFFROAD!

if you just want amber side markers constantly on with the lights but flashing when your indicating there's no reason you can't splice into the wiring after the flasher unit and then use a relay to connect to the sidelight circuit, but you'd then need to put another relay in to break the new circuit when you switch on the indicators. i'll have look at a wiring diagram and see if I can work something out later on for you.

PS any news on snorkels yet? thinking of ordering one in the next day or two.
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
      if you just want amber side markers constantly on with the lights but flashing when your indicating there's no reason you can't splice into the wiring after the flasher unit and then use a relay to connect to the sidelight circuit, but you'd then need to put another relay in to break the new circuit when you switch on the indicators. i'll have look at a wiring diagram and see if I can work something out later on for you.

Thats what I was thinking, but it means a whole load of relays an messing about.

I'm sure I have seen some T3 (push in) lampholders that have a grommet round them that could be used. Just by drilling a hole in the indicator unit, but I cant remember where I saw them.
      I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Originally posted by nero279

But would you not also have to use some resistors to drop the intensity of the bulb down to 5W from 21W

Alan...

Comment

ok firstly i aint got a clue if im right or not.....but wouldnt doing that have problems with the MOT? Ive been looking into SVA tests an such have found one of the things that has to be done for the SVA test on american cars/trucks is have the light wiring altered to suit UK laws and that normally consists of having seperate indicators/brakes/sidelights etc you cant pic'n mix, Such as having a brake light flash to represent an indicator nor a sidelight for an indicator for example............But like i said im not sure and i could be totally wrong!!! so dont pay to much attention to me!

Comment

I've re-wired my sidelights to become the indicators with 21W orange bulbs fitted, and the indicators are now sidelights with 5W bulbs.
            My MOT is next month so I'll let you know what happens.

Comment

If there was a switch fitted somewhere subtle it could be turned off for an mot without complicating the wiring too much.

The wiring side of it i may be able to help with, as for the legality i can't help there. I'll be seeing an auto-sparky this afternoon so i can ask what he thinks.
              =========
              =SOLD UP!=
              =========

Comment

Some useful info here if you can decipher it.
                http://www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si1989/Uks...n_12.htm#nsch7
                Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

You're after the USA approach where they have their 'indicators' on all the time as sidelights, and they flash off when you indicate?

Not sure if it's legal but it would be easy to do. You'd just have a positive feed from the ign live, and use the idicator relay to break the positive (or negative) instead of make it.

USA trucks flash their rear (red) lights on the back end as turn signals. Maybe one of the American car owners forums would advise on the legality?
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                    USA trucks flash their rear (red) lights on the back end as turn signals. Maybe one of the American car owners forums would advise on the legality?
                    I think when they get imported, they have to put extra indicators on (the rear), so I'd assume the legality would be on the negative side..
                    It just does, OK?

Comment

Another, probably more expensive option, would be to get hold some american style standard 4runner sidelights. They have the, erm, side of the sidelight coloured orange. See 3rd gen example

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                        You're after the USA approach where they have their 'indicators' on all the time as sidelights, and they flash off when you indicate?

Not sure if it's legal but it would be easy to do. You'd just have a positive feed from the ign live, and use the idicator relay to break the positive (or negative) instead of make it.

I have looked into it a bit more. Without some serious electrical alterations it wouldn't work with existing wiring as the tail lamps would end up flashing too. So its out with a drill and a T3 lampholder into the indicator housing, wired of the sidelight supply via a seperate switch to avoid legal complications.
                        I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Working...
                        X