Where do I find the key number?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I find the key number?

Ive only got one key. The Toyota dealer can cut another, but needs the key number. I got a large folded 3 page document when I bought the Surf, but its all in Japanese. I guess this may have been the log book type thing. Is there another way of getting the key number? Or can I get the original copied? Would prefer another with the remote locking transmitter on it.

Keys

I took my original key to Mr Mint and they cut copies of it for £6 each. Any nationwide keycutters/shoe repairs should be able to do the same.
    Brian
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO WORK FULLTIME

Comment

yep local hardware shop, stuff the main dealer

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
        yep local hardware shop, stuff the main dealer
        1996 IS IT 3RD GEN
        GET KEY CUT THEN TRY STARTING THE SURF IFF ITS A PLAIN ORIGINAL KEY YOU ARE FINE SOME KEYS ARE CHIPPED AS THEY ACTIVATE THE IMMOBILISER
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Got mine cut at a car boot for £1.50, works fine!
          [font=Comic Sans MS][i][size=+3][color=red][b]Paul[/b][/color][/size][/i][/font]

[b][size=+2]1992 2.4TD SSR-X AUTO[/b][/size]

Comment

try inside the boot lock for the key number? it should be stamped on it somewhere.

i went to get some keys cut for work and they had buy 2 get one free offer at mr minit... so i got my entire bunch cut with pretty coloured pictures all over!

look on ebay for blank keys... they've sometimes got some quite nice toyota ones on there.
            Last edited by dabigman; 22 January 2004, 21:01.
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

My 2nd Gen key has a letter and four digits stamped on it. I have tried a couple of key places and heel bars in London. They have all said go to your main Toyota dealer. Guess its worth trying again. The plastic bit broke and I had to drill a hole to get it back on the keyring.
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Spare key needed too

I only have one key too. The key cutter at b & q refused to cut a replacement, and the main Toyota dealer wouldn't help.

I guess that I will try the 'small independent' guys, or a car boot!!

Cheers

Rob G

Comment

Working...
                X