Interior lights staying on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior lights staying on

My Surf has developed another frustrating problem..
    When I shut all the doors, (including when driving) the interior lights stay on.
    I thought I had tracked it down to the passenger door, I assumed that the white push switch in the door frame was what triggered the lights on/off. If I depress the switch in manually the lights go off, but if I shut the door then they go off as I close the door and come back on when then door is fully shut. I had the switch out last night (by torchlight in the dark and rain) , cleaned it, put it back in and now it does nothing. So I took it out again, yet with no switch and closing the door the lights go out and come back as before.
    a) is there another switch inside the door panel that triggers the lights. If so what does the other switch do, have I just disarmed my alarm system.
    b) do I have a dodgy earth or connection somewhere.

I know this one is going to be really simple but take ages to solve. I have temporarily fixed it by taking the bulbs out of the red door lights, but i would like them back again

Originally posted by TwoBoard
    My Surf has developed another frustrating problem..
    When I shut all the doors, (including when driving) the interior lights stay on.
    I thought I had tracked it down to the passenger door, I assumed that the white push switch in the door frame was what triggered the lights on/off. If I depress the switch in manually the lights go off, but if I shut the door then they go off as I close the door and come back on when then door is fully shut. I had the switch out last night (by torchlight in the dark and rain) , cleaned it, put it back in and now it does nothing. So I took it out again, yet with no switch and closing the door the lights go out and come back as before.
    a) is there another switch inside the door panel that triggers the lights. If so what does the other switch do, have I just disarmed my alarm system.
    b) do I have a dodgy earth or connection somewhere.

I know this one is going to be really simple but take ages to solve. I have temporarily fixed it by taking the bulbs out of the red door lights, but i would like them back again

could be the loom that has a broken wire that passes through the body to the door.
    CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

When you press the switch you are disconnecting the earth to the light, so what you are getting is an earth which should not be there and as Slim says it's most likely to be a broken/frayed wire that is catching the door frame as you close the door.
      Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Working...
      X