flat batterys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flat batterys

went to start the surf after work today and batterys were completely flat managed to get someone to jump start me drove home left surf for a couple of hours then she started straight away got up this morning flat batterys again alternator is charging batterys but when left over night or all day thay are flat any ideas would be great
    thanks
    mick

Sounds to me like you might need a couple of new batteries..

Might be just one knackered which is dragging the other one down as well..
    It just does, OK?

Comment

new battery time methinks
      Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

I would have the batteries properly checked at a garage as they can do a load test there but if you have a volt meter set it on DC volts and measure the voltage with the engine switched off. You should have 12.5+ish across the terminals.
        Start it if you can and run it for a while to charge it. Turn the engine off then get someone to crank it for you and see if the voltage drops back to below 11.5 ish (10.5 is flat) while the starter is turning over the engine, if so your battery is not holding its charge.
        If you can borrow a hydrometer (they are cheap to buy) check each cell, the reading should not vary by much, fully charged is 1265 ish . Not all have specific gravity markings on just the colours red (flat ) green(charged) and amber so what your looking for is for the float to settle at about the same place for each cell. If it does not then you have “a cell gone” which means your battery is kaput.
        Don’t dribble the acid onto yourself that you suck up to do the test and put it back in the same cell you took the reading from , don’t discard it.
        If your batteries are newish ,not more than four years old and have caused probs before it maybe that your system is overcharging them.

Comment

Originally posted by mick19691
          went to start the surf after work today and batterys were completely flat managed to get someone to jump start me drove home left surf for a couple of hours then she started straight away got up this morning flat batterys again alternator is charging batterys but when left over night or all day thay are flat any ideas would be great
          thanks
          mick
          Probably is the batteries fubared, but it is possible that something is draining them ie interior lights
          If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

flat batterys

cheers fellas it was one of the batterys that was k-nackered draining the other
            thanks again
            mick

Comment

Working...
            X