Centrsl locking not unlocking from alarm fob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centrsl locking not unlocking from alarm fob

HI there. My 2.4 1992 Surf is fitted with a Toad alarm system. The alarm system controls the central locking, the button on the inside of the drivers door is disabled.

This morning when I went to unlock the car, for the first time it failed to work. The alarm unsets itself and it will lock it again, but not unlock it.

Anyone come across this before?

Whenever anything electrical stops working on this surf I have found it's usually the relay which needs replacing, anyone know where it is or if there is one for the central locking?

Many thanks.

mine stopped working when i changed the stereo (wierd)

Comment

Originally posted by abentham
      mine stopped working when i changed the stereo (wierd)
      Hmm.......I haven't been doing anything to mine lately, so for once I don't think it's going to be my fault. More likely a relay has given up with old age, just as my horn relay and blower motor relay gave up over the last few months.

Did you manage to fix it and if so how?

Comment

Its More Likley As You Said The Relay I Fitted A Taod Alarm On A Cav Before Took 2 Days Without Instructions I Think There Are Two Earths That Go To The Central Locking Relay But Not Sure, Maybe One Has Come Loose Or Broken Can You Still Unlock And Lock With Original Surf Key Fob ?

Fixed Mine By Changing The Stereo Wiring Block

Comment

i think.. the only relay in the system is the main control box just above the fuse board by the drivers feet. i reckon its a wire gone in the loom where it comes through the A pillar into the door. i have a pdf of the wiring if it will help, but its too big to post so i'll have to email it
          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Can You Still Unlock And Lock With Original Surf Key Fob ?
            I've never had the original key fobs I'm afraid. I can unlock the door with the key, but it doesn't work the central locking at all. The Toad fob will centrally lock the car but not unlock any doors.

Comment

Calling all auto electricians............

Right, I believe that it's a break in one or more of the wires between the drivers door switch and the door control unit under the drivers side dash which is causing this. So, I removed the door card and lower dash and can now see everything, but I could do with some help to diagnose further, especially as I don't have a wiring diagram. The one Chillit kindly supplied has different colour wires from mine. I can see where the alarm has been added in to some of the wires coming from the door panel switches if that helps and I can see that White/Black wires are earth.

Can anyone help?

Comment

OK, it must be a break in the wires between the door and the car body because I've now found that by squeezing the wiring loom there I can unlock the car! Has anyone got any tips on how best to access those wires? I might try knocking out the pin which enables me to swing the door back a bit further................

Comment

Originally posted by Tonka
                  OK, it must be a break in the wires between the door and the car body because I've now found that by squeezing the wiring loom there I can unlock the car! Has anyone got any tips on how best to access those wires? I might try knocking out the pin which enables me to swing the door back a bit further................
                  Dont take the pin out and let the door swing free as you will end up with a damaged door . It goes back to far and creases the door frame and skin .
                  As for excessing wires you may need to slice open the truncking with a razor blade and pull out each wire . I checked my wires for the rear window and found that even though the wire looked OK it was broken inside the wire insulation .
                  Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Thanks Vagrant. I managed in the end to disconnect the loom from inside the front wing and then pull the whole lot through the door. When I eventually got the trunking pulled back - hey presto! 6 broken wires - buggering things. I'm tempted just to crimp connect them but I suppose the proper job would be to replace with lengths of wire connecting the ends near the terminal blocks, away from the bend between door and wing. I'm $$$$$$ tempted though.........

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks to the forum and all for pointing me in the right direction on this one. It took a while to replace all the broken wires but it's done now so all's well.

I found it much easier to fix once I'd decided to unplug all the connectors from inside the car and then pull the whole loom back through into the door, much less fiddly that way.

Thanks again.

Comment

good stuff glad you got there in the end. now, you repair the wires away from where it bends, didn't you....
                        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

good stuff glad you got there in the end. now, you repair the wires away from where it bends, didn't you....
                          Yeah, I was $$$$$$ tempted to just weld them back together where they'd broken but I just knew I'd have it all apart again within a couple of weeks.

Took a fair while though, wouldn't like to have paid a bill to have gotten it done by an auto-electrician.

Comment

Working...
                          X