Ignition problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition problem

Hi everyone, my 3.0 ssrx has an intermittant starting problem, when I put the key into the ignition and turn it, sometimes it wont operate the starter ie engine wont turn over, yet all the dash lights come on, except for the preheat which only comes on for a flash anyway.
    I recently replaced the KPH for a MPH face, but did not dislodge any wires etc.
    If I move the steering wheel side to side it always works!
    Does anyone have any ideas?
    thanx,
    Nick.

Originally posted by Dobber
    Hi everyone, my 3.0 ssrx has an intermittant starting problem, when I put the key into the ignition and turn it, sometimes it wont operate the starter ie engine wont turn over, yet all the dash lights come on, except for the preheat which only comes on for a flash anyway.
    thanx,
    Nick.
    Mine used to do exactly the same, two new batteries cured the problem for a while, but it does now happen intermittently. However it seems there can be a problem with the starter motor and there is a kit you can buy to repair it. there was a thread recently about someone doing the repair and having difficulty removing the starter.
    Trust your Hound.

Comment

thanx,
      Nick.
      Firstly welcome to the madhouse Nick
      Re your problem , do you have an immobiliser fitted? could be a fault with that, or also could be a bad connection to the inhibitor switch which stops the car being started while in drive.
      If, as you say its ok when you move the steering wheel, I would be checking for a broken wire in that area.
      Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

thanx,
        Nick.
        Try this (if the link works)
        http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/starter/
        Trust your Hound.

Comment

Working...
        X